Compare Ford Edge vs GMC Acadia – The midsize SUV segment continues to thrive in the automotive market, offering a blend of performance, comfort, and versatility.
Two prominent contenders in this competitive arena are the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia.
In this comprehensive comparison, we’ll delve into various aspects of both vehicles, helping you make an informed decision when selecting your next SUV.
What’s the Difference Between Ford Edge and GMC Acadia?
The main differences between the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia lie in their engine options, dimensions, interior and exterior designs, features, and overall driving experiences.
The Ford Edge offers peppy powertrain options, confident handling, and spacious seating, while the GMC Acadia emphasizes a more powerful V6 engine and comprehensive safety features.
When it comes to selecting a new SUV, pricing is often a crucial factor that influences our choices. Both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer a range of trims and configurations, each with its own pricing structure.
In this section, we’ll break down the pricing details for these two midsize SUVs, helping you understand the options available within your budget.
– 2023 Ford Edge Price:
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a variety of trim levels, each catering to different preferences and needs. Here’s a breakdown of the starting prices for the various trims:
- Ford Edge SE – Starting at $37,945: The base SE trim provides a solid entry point into the Edge lineup, featuring essential features and functionality.
- Ford Edge SEL – Starting at $39,345: Stepping up to the SEL trim adds more features and options for customization, making it an attractive choice for those seeking added comfort and technology.
- Ford Edge ST-Line – Starting at $43,100: The ST-Line trim offers sportier styling cues and enhancements, catering to drivers who appreciate a more dynamic appearance.
- Ford Edge Titanium – Starting at $43,100: The Titanium trim focuses on luxury and comfort, offering premium features and amenities for a refined driving experience.
- Ford Edge ST – Starting at $46,485: Sitting at the top of the lineup, the ST trim boasts high-performance features and a powerful engine, appealing to enthusiasts and those craving exhilarating drives.
2023 GMC Acadia Price:
Similar to the Ford Edge, the 2023 GMC Acadia presents a range of options to suit various preferences. Let’s explore the pricing details for the GMC Acadia trims:
- GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A) – Starting at about $36,800: The SLE trim serves as the starting point for the Acadia lineup, offering a balance of features and affordability.
- GMC Acadia SLE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A) – Starting at $36,800: Similar to the previous trim, this version of the SLE offers similar features with a consistent starting price.
It’s evident that both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia provide a diverse range of trims, catering to a wide spectrum of driving preferences and budgets.
From the entry-level models to the higher trims packed with advanced features, these midsize SUVs ensure that there’s a configuration suited for everyone.
When considering your options, be sure to evaluate the features and amenities that matter most to you, ensuring that your chosen trim aligns with your lifestyle and driving needs.
As you navigate the pricing landscape of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia, remember that selecting the right trim involves more than just the initial cost.
Consider the value proposition, the features included, and the long-term benefits that each trim provides.
By doing so, you’ll be better equipped to make an informed decision that brings you satisfaction and confidence in your chosen midsize SUV.
Read also: Ford Edge vs Genesis GV70
Fuel economy is a crucial consideration for many SUV buyers, as it directly impacts both your budget and environmental footprint.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia each offer a range of engine options, each with its own fuel efficiency ratings.
Let’s delve into the fuel economy details of these two midsize SUVs to help you make an informed decision based on your driving habits and priorities.
– 2023 Ford Edge Fuel Economy:
The 2023 Ford Edge is available with various engine options, including four-cylinder and sporty ST models. Here’s a breakdown of the fuel economy ratings for these configurations:
- EPA Rating: Up to 21 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
- Note: Some four-cylinder model configurations are rated at 20 mpg city.
Ford Edge ST Model:
- EPA Rating: 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
- On-Road Test: The four-cylinder ST-Line model achieved around 24 mpg on a 75-mph fuel-economy loop, slightly underdelivering. Meanwhile, the six-cylinder ST managed 25 mpg, aligning with its estimate.
– 2023 GMC Acadia Fuel Economy:
The 2023 GMC Acadia is equipped with both turbo four-cylinder and V-6 engine options. Let’s explore the fuel economy estimates for these powertrain choices:
Turbo Four-Cylinder Engine (Front-Wheel Drive):
- EPA Rating: 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway.
V-6 Engine (Front-Wheel Drive):
- EPA Rating: 19 mpg city and 27 mpg highway.
It’s important to note that while these EPA estimates provide a general idea of fuel efficiency, real-world conditions can vary.
In the case of the GMC Acadia, our 75-mph highway fuel economy test with the nine-speed automatic transmission has not been conducted yet.
For accurate and up-to-date fuel economy information, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides official ratings on its website.
When comparing the fuel economy of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia, consider your typical driving patterns, whether you’ll predominantly be in the city or on the highway, and how each model’s fuel efficiency aligns with your personal preferences.
Evaluating fuel economy alongside other important factors such as performance, features, and pricing will help you choose the SUV that best suits your needs while ensuring economical and environmentally conscious driving experiences.
When considering a midsize SUV, dimensions play a significant role in determining interior space, comfort, and overall functionality.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer different dimensions, catering to diverse needs and preferences.
In this section, we’ll explore the dimensions of these two vehicles, highlighting their interior and exterior measurements.
– 2023 Ford Edge Dimensions:
The 2023 Ford Edge boasts well-thought-out dimensions that contribute to its comfortable interior and practicality. Here’s a breakdown of its measurements:
|Overall Width with Mirrors||85.8 inches|
|Overall Width without Mirrors||75.9 inches|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats in Place)||39.2 cubic feet|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||73.4 cubic feet|
|Curb Weight||4,122 pounds|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||3,500 pounds|
Front Seat Dimensions:
|Front Head Room||40.2 inches|
|Front Leg Room||42.6 inches|
|Front Shoulder Room||60.3 inches|
|Front Hip Room||55.9 inches|
Rear Seat Dimensions:
|Rear Head Room||40.3 inches|
|Rear Leg Room||40.6 inches|
|Rear Shoulder Room||60.5 inches|
|Rear Hip Room||57.5 inches|
– 2023 GMC Acadia Dimensions:
The 2023 GMC Acadia comes with dimensions that enhance its spaciousness and versatility. Let’s examine its measurements:
|Overall Width without Mirrors||75.4 inches|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats in Place)||41.7 cubic feet|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||79.0 cubic feet|
|Turning Circle||38.7 feet|
|Ground Clearance||7.2 inches|
|Curb Weight||4,495 pounds|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||4,000 pounds|
|Maximum Payload||1,506 pounds|
|Gross Weight||6,001 pounds|
Front Seat Dimensions:
|Front Head Room||40.0 inches|
|Front Leg Room||41.0 inches|
|Front Shoulder Room||59.4 inches|
|Front Hip Room||55.7 inches|
Rear Seat Dimensions:
|Rear Head Room||39.6 inches|
|Rear Leg Room||39.7 inches|
|Rear Shoulder Room||58.7 inches|
|Rear Hip Room||53.3 inches|
These dimensions give you a clear understanding of how the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia compare in terms of exterior size, interior space, and cargo capacity.
If you prioritize specific aspects such as legroom, cargo volume, or overall dimensions, evaluating these measurements will help you decide which midsize SUV aligns best with your lifestyle and requirements.
Whether it’s the Ford Edge’s comfort-focused dimensions or the GMC Acadia’s versatility-enhancing measurements, each vehicle offers its own set of advantages to cater to your preferences.
Read also: Ford Edge vs Chevy Blazer
Personalizing your vehicle’s appearance is an exciting part of the car-buying process. The choice of exterior and interior colors allows you to reflect your individual style and preferences.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer a range of color options, both inside and out. Let’s explore the available color choices for these midsize SUVs to help you envision your ideal vehicle aesthetic.
– 2023 Ford Edge Color Options
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a diverse palette of exterior colors that range from vibrant to sophisticated. Here are the available exterior color options:
- Forged Green Metallic
- Rapid Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- Carbonized Gray Metallic
- Agate Black Metallic
- Star White Metallic Tri-Coat
- Atlas Blue Metallic
- Iconic Silver Metallic
- Oxford White
- Stone Blue Metallic
The interior of the Ford Edge can be customized to suit your preferences as well. Here are the available interior color options:
- Dune, leatherette
- Ebony, leatherette
- Ebony, premium cloth
- Dune, premium cloth
- Navy Pier w/Orange Stitching, leatherette
– 2023 GMC Acadia Color Options
The 2023 GMC Acadia offers a range of exterior colors that complement its design. Here are the available exterior color options:
- Sterling Metallic
- White Frost Tricoat
- Light Stone Metallic
- Volcanic Red Tintcoat
- Summit White
- Ebony Twilight Metallic
- Ultra Blue Metallic
The interior of the GMC Acadia also offers a selection of colors for you to choose from. Here’s the available interior color option:
- Jet Black, leather
- Jet Black, premium cloth
Customizing the color of your SUV allows you to express your personality and preferences. Whether you’re drawn to bold and eye-catching colors or prefer a more understated and elegant look, both the Ford Edge and the GMC Acadia offer a variety of options to suit your taste.
When selecting colors, consider how they complement the overall design of the vehicle and how they resonate with your personal style.
With a multitude of color combinations available, you can create an SUV that truly reflects who you are and adds a touch of uniqueness to your driving experience.
Safety is a paramount concern when it comes to selecting a vehicle, especially for families and individuals seeking peace of mind on the road.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia prioritize safety by offering a range of advanced driver-assistance technologies.
Let’s examine the safety features available in these midsize SUVs to understand how they contribute to your security while driving.
– 2023 Ford Edge Safety Features:
The 2023 Ford Edge comes equipped with a suite of safety features that are designed to assist drivers and mitigate potential hazards.
Here are the safety features available in the Ford Edge:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking: This feature helps prevent or mitigate collisions by automatically applying the brakes if a potential frontal collision is detected.
- Standard Lane-Departure Warning and Lane-Keeping Assist: These systems provide alerts and corrective actions to prevent unintentional lane departure.
- Blind-Spot Monitoring: This feature alerts the driver when a vehicle is in its blind spot, reducing the risk of collisions during lane changes.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control: Adaptive cruise control adjusts the vehicle’s speed based on traffic conditions, maintaining a safe following distance from the vehicle ahead.
– 2023 GMC Acadia Safety Features:
The 2023 GMC Acadia also prioritizes safety with a range of driver-assistance technologies. Here are the safety features available in the GMC Acadia:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection: This advanced system not only detects potential collisions with vehicles but also pedestrians, enhancing overall safety.
- Standard Lane-Departure Warning with Lane-Keeping Assist: These features help drivers stay within their lanes and provide alerts if unintended lane departure occurs.
- Blind-Spot Monitoring: Similar to the Ford Edge, blind-spot monitoring enhances safety during lane changes.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control: Adaptive cruise control adds convenience by adjusting the vehicle’s speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
Both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia provide essential driver-assistance features as standard, ensuring that safety is a top priority.
Additionally, advanced features like adaptive cruise control add convenience to your driving experience while maintaining safety.
As safety technology continues to evolve, these SUVs remain at the forefront by incorporating the latest advancements to keep you and your passengers protected.
These resources provide valuable insights into the safety performance of vehicles, helping you make an informed decision that aligns with your safety requirements.
Read also: Ford Edge vs Volvo XC40
Warranty coverage is an essential aspect to consider when purchasing a new vehicle, as it provides peace of mind and protects your investment.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer warranty packages that vary in coverage and benefits.
Let’s examine the warranty details of these midsize SUVs to understand the extent of protection they provide.
– 2023 Ford Edge Warranty:
The warranty coverage for the 2023 Ford Edge is in line with industry standards, offering protection for key components. Here’s an overview of the warranty coverage for the Ford Edge:
- Limited Warranty: Covers three years or 36,000 miles. This warranty provides coverage for various components and defects during the initial years of ownership.
- Powertrain Warranty: Covers five years or 60,000 miles. The powertrain warranty offers protection for essential drivetrain components, ensuring your vehicle’s reliability and performance.
- Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance: Unfortunately, the 2023 Ford Edge does not include complimentary scheduled maintenance, meaning routine service costs are not covered.
– 2023 GMC Acadia Warranty:
The 2023 GMC Acadia comes with a more comprehensive warranty package that includes maintenance coverage. Here’s a breakdown of the warranty coverage for the GMC Acadia:
- Limited Warranty: Covers three years or 36,000 miles. Similar to the Ford Edge, this warranty safeguards against defects and issues during the initial ownership period.
- Powertrain Warranty: Covers five years or 60,000 miles. The powertrain warranty ensures the durability and functionality of essential drivetrain components.
- Complimentary Maintenance: GMC sets itself apart by including complimentary maintenance for the first maintenance visit within the first year of ownership. This coverage can help alleviate routine service costs during the initial stages of ownership.
Both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer similar limited and powertrain warranty coverage, the GMC Acadia gains an advantage by providing complimentary maintenance for the first maintenance visit.
This coverage can contribute to overall cost savings and convenience during the first year of ownership.
As you evaluate warranty packages, consider factors such as the duration of coverage, the components included, and any additional benefits like complimentary maintenance.
By understanding the warranty details, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your preferences and offers the protection you desire for your new midsize SUV.
Understanding the specifications of a vehicle provides valuable insights into its performance, capabilities, and overall driving experience.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia offer distinct engine options and features that cater to various driving preferences.
Let’s delve into the specifications of these midsize SUVs to help you assess their power, performance, and towing capacities.
– 2023 Ford Edge Specs:
The 2023 Ford Edge features a well-balanced base engine that offers a blend of efficiency and performance. Here are the key specifications of the Ford Edge:
|Base Engine Size||2.0 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gasoline|
|Drive Type||All-wheel drive|
|Horsepower||250 hp @ 5,500 rpm|
|Torque||280 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double overhead cam (DOHC)|
|Max Towing Capacity||3,500 lbs.|
– 2023 GMC Acadia Specs:
The 2023 GMC Acadia boasts a larger and more powerful V6 engine, emphasizing performance and towing capabilities. Here are the key specifications of the GMC Acadia:
|Base Engine Size||3.6 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gasoline|
|Transmission||9-speed shiftable automatic|
|Drive Type||All-wheel drive|
|Horsepower||310 hp @ 6,600 rpm|
|Torque||271 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double overhead cam (DOHC)|
|Max Towing Capacity||4,000 lbs.|
|Max Payload Capacity||1,506 lbs.|
Comparing these specifications, the GMC Acadia stands out with its larger V6 engine that delivers higher horsepower and torque.
This engine configuration makes the Acadia suitable for those who prioritize towing capabilities and a more robust driving experience.
On the other hand, the Ford Edge’s inline 4-cylinder engine offers a balance of power and efficiency, catering to drivers seeking everyday comfort and fuel economy.
When assessing the specifications, consider your driving needs and preferences. If you require higher towing capacity and more horsepower, the GMC Acadia might be the better choice.
Alternatively, if efficiency and a well-rounded performance are more important, the Ford Edge’s specifications might align with your preferences.
By evaluating these specifications alongside other factors like features, comfort, and pricing, you can make an informed decision that suits your driving lifestyle.
Read also: Mazda CX-9 vs Ford Edge
The 2023 Ford Edge and 2023 GMC Acadia both have good reliability ratings. The Edge has an iSeeCars reliability rating of 8.6 out of 10, while the Acadia has an iSeeCars reliability rating of 8.3 out of 10. Both SUVs are also ranked in the top 15 of the most reliable midsize SUVs by iSeeCars.
However, the Edge has a slightly better-predicted reliability score than the Acadia, according to U.S. News. The Edge has a predicted reliability score of 85 out of 100, while the Acadia has a predicted reliability score of 83 out of 100.
Ultimately, the difference in reliability between the two SUVs is negligible. Both are expected to be reliable vehicles.
Here is a table comparing the reliability ratings of the 2023 Ford Edge and 2023 GMC Acadia:
|Vehicle||iSeeCars Reliability Rating||U.S. News Predicted Reliability Score|
|Ford Edge||8.6 out of 10||85 out of 100|
|GMC Acadia||8.3 out of 10||83 out of 100|
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing between the two SUVs:
- The Edge is slightly smaller than the Acadia, with less cargo space and seating capacity.
- The Edge has a more powerful engine than the Acadia.
- The Acadia has a more luxurious interior than the Edge.
The best SUV for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are looking for a reliable and fuel-efficient SUV with a powerful engine, the Edge is a good option.
If you are looking for a spacious and luxurious SUV with a comfortable ride, the Acadia is a good option.
According to iSeeCars.com, the 2023 Ford Edge is expected to retain 48.9% of its value after 5 years, while the 2023 GMC Acadia is expected to retain 52.8% of its value.
This means that the GMC Acadia is expected to have a slightly better resale value than the Ford Edge.
Here is a table comparing the 5-year depreciation rates of the two SUVs:
|Model||5-Year Depreciation Rate|
There are a few factors that could contribute to the GMC Acadia having a better resale value than the Ford Edge. These include:
- The GMC Acadia is a larger SUV, which is often more desirable than a smaller SUV.
- The GMC Acadia has a more powerful engine than the Ford Edge.
- The GMC Acadia has a more luxurious interior than the Ford Edge.
Here are some other factors to consider when choosing between the Ford Edge and the GMC Acadia:
- Price: The Ford Edge is typically more affordable than the GMC Acadia.
- Fuel economy: The Ford Edge gets better fuel economy than the GMC Acadia.
- Features: The Ford Edge comes standard with more features than the GMC Acadia.
- Performance: The GMC Acadia has a more powerful engine than the Ford Edge.
- Interior space: The GMC Acadia has more interior space than the Ford Edge.
The best SUV for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Consider the factors that are most important to you and choose the SUV that best meets your needs.
Pros and Cons
When deciding between two vehicles, it’s important to weigh their pros and cons to determine which one aligns best with your preferences and needs.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 GMC Acadia each come with their own set of advantages and drawbacks.
Let’s explore the pros and cons of these midsize SUVs to help you make an informed decision.
– 2023 Ford Edge Pros and Cons
- Peppy Powertrain Options: The Ford Edge offers energetic engine choices, providing a responsive and engaging driving experience.
- Confident Handling: Agile handling and responsive steering contribute to a confident and enjoyable driving dynamics.
- Spacious Seating in Both Rows: Ample legroom and headroom ensure comfort for passengers in both the front and rear seats.
- Lots of Standard Features: The Ford Edge comes generously equipped with numerous standard features, enhancing value for the price.
- Underwhelming Interior Quality: Some materials used in the interior fall short of premium expectations, affecting the overall cabin ambiance.
- Excessive Reliance on Touch-Screen Controls: Overreliance on touch-screen controls can make certain functions less intuitive and distracting while driving.
2023 GMC Acadia Pros and Cons
- Willing V-6 Powertrain: The GMC Acadia’s V6 engine provides robust power and performance for confident acceleration and towing.
- Adventurous AT4: The AT4 trim offers a more rugged and off-road-oriented variant for those seeking adventurous drives.
- Comprehensive Safety Features: The Acadia is equipped with a range of advanced safety features to enhance driver and passenger security.
- Subpar Interior Trim (except Denali): Some interior materials in non-Denali trims may not meet premium expectations, affecting interior aesthetics.
- Smaller than the Competition: The Acadia’s interior space might be comparatively smaller than some rivals, affecting passenger and cargo room.
- Aging Platform: The Acadia’s platform may be aging in comparison to newer competitors, potentially impacting technology and design.
When evaluating the pros and cons, consider what aspects align with your priorities. For example, if you value performance and ample seating space, the Ford Edge’s peppy powertrains and spacious interiors might appeal to you.
On the other hand, if you’re interested in robust towing capabilities and comprehensive safety features, the GMC Acadia’s V6 engine and safety suite might be more appealing.
By weighing these factors alongside other considerations like pricing, features, and overall driving experience, you’ll be better equipped to choose the midsize SUV that best suits your lifestyle and preferences.
Which SUV is better for towing, the Ford Edge, or the GMC Acadia?
Both SUVs offer competitive towing capacities, but the Ford Edge has a slight edge in this department.
Are these vehicles fuel-efficient for daily commuting?
Yes, both the Ford Edge and the GMC Acadia offer respectable fuel efficiency for daily commuting needs.
Do these SUVs come with advanced safety features?
Absolutely, both the Ford Edge and the GMC Acadia come equipped with advanced safety technology.
What is the starting price difference between the two models?
Generally, the Ford Edge starts at a slightly lower price compared to the GMC Acadia.
Which SUV has better resale value?
Both the Ford Edge and the GMC Acadia tend to hold their value well, offering good resale potential in the long run.