Compare Volvo C40 vs Audi Q4 – As the automotive industry embraces the electric revolution, luxury car manufacturers are stepping up their game with innovative electric vehicles (EVs).
In this comprehensive comparison, we will delve into the key differences between the Audi Q4 vs Volvo XC40, two prominent contenders in the luxury EV market.
From pricing and dimensions to safety features and warranty coverage, we will explore each aspect to help you make an informed decision.
What is the Difference Between Volvo C40 and Audi Q4?
The Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 are two prominent luxury electric vehicles (EVs) that offer unique features and performance capabilities. Let’s explore the key differences between these models:
Pricing: A Cost-Effective Comparison of Luxury EVs
In the rapidly evolving landscape of electric vehicles (EVs), affordability plays a pivotal role in enticing potential buyers. Among the luxury EV contenders, the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 stand out as commendable options.
In this segment, we will explore the pricing of both models and dissect the features offered in each trim level. The Volvo XC40 offers a range of trim levels, catering to various preferences and budgets.
The base trim, the Volvo XC40 Momentum, starts at a competitive price of $33,700, positioning it as one of the more affordable SUVs in its class.
Despite its lower cost, Volvo does not compromise on quality, ensuring a premium driving experience. For those seeking enhanced features and a more dynamic appearance, the R-Design and Inscription trims are available.
The R-Design trim, with an estimated price of $38,950, boasts sportier design elements and an athletic stance, appealing to performance-oriented drivers.
On the other hand, the Inscription trim, priced at approximately $39,450, focuses on luxurious appointments and refined touches, offering a sophisticated driving experience.
All trims of the Volvo C40 come equipped with the T4 powertrain, featuring a 187-horsepower turbocharged engine and front-wheel drive.
This powertrain ensures a satisfying balance of performance and efficiency, making the C40 a compelling option in the luxury EV market.
However, the Audi Q4 enters the luxury EV segment with its premium appeal and advanced technology. It offers three distinct trim levels: Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige.
While the official pricing for the Audi Q4 has not been released at the time of writing, estimates indicate the following pricing structure:
- Premium: Starting at an estimated $45,000, the base Premium trim offers a solid set of standard features and amenities. It caters to buyers who prioritize luxury without compromising on value.
- Premium Plus: Estimated to begin at around $50,000, the Premium Plus trim takes a step further in terms of available features and advanced technology. It appeals to buyers seeking additional convenience and comfort.
- Prestige: Positioned at an estimated $55,000, the Prestige trim embodies the pinnacle of luxury and cutting-edge innovation. It offers a comprehensive package of high-end features and premium materials, making it a top-tier choice for luxury EV enthusiasts.
Each trim level of the Audi Q4 is expected to deliver impressive performance and range, characteristic of Audi’s commitment to engineering excellence.
When comparing the pricing of the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4, it becomes evident that Volvo offers a more budget-friendly option with its XC40 Momentum trim starting at $33,700.
However, the Audi Q4 is likely to appeal to buyers seeking additional luxury and advanced technology at a higher price point.
As the electric vehicle market continues to evolve, both Volvo and Audi strive to present enticing options that cater to diverse consumer preferences.
When considering a luxury EV purchase, carefully evaluate the features, specifications, and pricing to choose the model that best aligns with your lifestyle and priorities.
Ultimately, both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 have the potential to offer a fulfilling and eco-conscious driving experience for luxury EV enthusiasts.
Read also: Volvo C40 vs Tesla Model Y
When selecting a luxury electric SUV, understanding the dimensions is crucial to ensuring that the vehicle can accommodate your needs and provide a comfortable driving experience.
Let’s compare the dimensions of the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 to evaluate their practicality and passenger space.
Volvo C40 Dimensions:
- Front Head Room: The Volvo C40 boasts a generous front headroom of 39 inches, providing ample space for the driver and front passenger. This spacious headroom enhances the sense of openness and comfort within the cabin.
- Rear Head Room: In the rear seating area, the C40 offers a slightly higher headroom of 39.1 inches. This ensures that rear passengers can enjoy a comfortable ride without feeling cramped.
- 3rd Row Head Room: The Volvo C40 does not come with a 3rd-row seating option, as it is a compact luxury SUV designed to accommodate up to five passengers.
- Front Shoulder Room: The front shoulder room measures 56.7 inches, allowing the driver and front passenger to sit comfortably with sufficient space between them.
- Rear Shoulder Room: The rear shoulder room offers 56.3 inches, ensuring that rear passengers have ample shoulder space for a pleasant journey.
Audi Q4 Dimensions:
- Headroom with Sunroof (Front): The Audi Q4 provides 38.1 inches of headroom in the front, ensuring sufficient space for the driver and front passenger, even with the presence of a sunroof.
- Headroom with Sunroof (Rear): In the rear seating area, the Q4 offers 39 inches of headroom, allowing rear passengers to sit comfortably without feeling confined.
- Leg Room (Front): The Audi Q4 provides a spacious legroom of 40.8 inches in the front, ensuring a relaxed and comfortable driving experience.
- Leg Room (Rear): In the rear seating area, passengers can enjoy a generous legroom of 39.1 inches, enhancing overall comfort during longer journeys.
- Shoulder Room (Front): The Q4 excels in the front shoulder room, providing 58.6 inches of space, ensuring that the driver and front passenger have ample elbow room.
- Shoulder Room (Rear): In the rear seating area, passengers can enjoy a shoulder room of 57.2 inches, providing a comfortable and accommodating environment for rear occupants.
- Cargo Volume: The Audi Q4 offers a generous cargo volume of 28.5 cubic feet with the rear seatbacks up. When the rear seatbacks are folded down, the cargo volume increases to an impressive 56.5 cubic feet, allowing for versatile storage options.
In conclusion, both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 provide ample space for passengers, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable driving experience.
While the Q4 offers slightly more headroom and cargo space, the C40 still excels in terms of passenger space and shoulder room.
Ultimately, the choice between these two luxury electric SUVs will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
Interior Colors: A Stylish Palette for Luxury EV Enthusiasts
The interior of a luxury electric vehicle is more than just a functional space; it is a sanctuary of comfort and sophistication.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 take interior design seriously, offering a range of captivating color options to suit various tastes. Let’s explore the interior color choices available for each model:
Volvo C40 Interior Colors:
- Charcoal: The Charcoal interior exudes timeless elegance with its sleek black upholstery. This classic choice complements the modern design elements of the Volvo C40, providing a refined and polished ambiance to the cabin.
- Fjord Blue: The Fjord Blue interior option infuses a refreshing splash of color into the cabin. The blue hue adds a sense of vibrancy and uniqueness, appealing to those seeking a bolder and more expressive interior.
- Midnight Zinc: The Midnight Zinc interior color option strikes a balance between dark sophistication and contemporary style. With a darker shade than Charcoal, it brings a touch of subtle luxury to the cabin, creating a welcoming atmosphere.
Audi Q4 Interior Colors:
- Atlas Beige: The Atlas Beige interior offers a warm and inviting color scheme, perfect for those who appreciate a cozy and inviting ambiance. This elegant tone complements the luxurious appointments found within the Audi Q4.
- Rock Gray: The Rock Gray interior exudes a sense of modernity and understated sophistication. With its neutral yet chic shade, it provides a versatile canvas for Q4’s luxurious features to shine.
- Black: Audi’s timeless Black interior option presents a bold and striking look. The all-black color scheme creates a sense of sleekness and refined aesthetics, appealing to those who appreciate a classic and sophisticated design.
- Okapi Brown: For a touch of richness and exclusivity, the Okapi Brown interior color option stands out as a luxurious choice. This deep brown hue exudes opulence and complements the high-end materials used throughout the Audi Q4.
The interior color choices offered by both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 cater to a diverse range of preferences and styles.
From the classic elegance of Charcoal to the bold vibrancy of Fjord Blue in the Volvo C40, and the warm sophistication of Atlas Beige to the sleek allure of Black and the luxurious appeal of Okapi Brown in the Audi Q4, each color option adds a distinct character to the driving experience.
When selecting your preferred luxury EV, consider how the interior color complements your personal taste and lifestyle.
Whether you prefer a timeless and refined look or a contemporary and expressive feel, both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 offer alluring interior color options that enhance the overall luxury and comfort of the driving environment.
Exterior Colors: A Stunning Spectrum of Choices for Luxury EVs
The exterior color of a luxury electric vehicle is more than just an aesthetic choice, it reflects the owner’s personality and taste.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 boast an array of captivating exterior colors, each contributing to the vehicles’ overall allure and visual appeal. Let’s explore the captivating color options available for each model:
Volvo C40 Exterior Colors:
- Black Stone: The timeless elegance of Black Stone exudes sophistication and a touch of mystery. This classic black hue adds a sense of refinement to the Volvo C40, enhancing its modern and luxurious exterior design.
- Crystal White Metallic: A shimmering and pristine shade, Crystal White Metallic reflects light beautifully, highlighting the C40’s elegant lines and distinctive features. It projects an image of modernity and understated luxury.
- Fjord Blue Metallic: This eye-catching hue brings a burst of color to the Volvo C40, infusing it with a sense of energy and individuality. Fjord Blue Metallic is perfect for those seeking a bolder and more expressive appearance.
- Fusion Red Metallic: The Fusion Red Metallic exterior color offers a dynamic and captivating look, reflecting the vehicle’s modern design and high-performance capabilities. It captures attention on the road with its striking presence.
- Onyx Black Metallic: Onyx Black Metallic presents a darker and deeper black hue, adding a layer of sophistication and mystery to the Volvo C40. This color option complements the vehicle’s premium appeal.
- Sage Green Metallic: Embodying a connection to nature, Sage Green Metallic provides a unique and eco-conscious appearance. This earthy tone accentuates the C40’s commitment to sustainability.
- Silver Dawn Metallic: The Silver Dawn Metallic exterior color offers a classic and refined appearance, bringing a touch of timeless elegance to the Volvo C40.
- Thunder Grey Metallic: Thunder Grey Metallic exudes a sense of strength and resilience, perfectly complementing the Volvo C40’s robust and modern design.
Audi Q4 Exterior Colors:
- Navarra Blue Metallic: This deep and captivating blue shade enhances Audi Q4’s modern and sleek exterior design, projecting a sense of confidence and charisma.
- Glacier White Metallic: A pristine and lustrous white, Glacier White Metallic adds a touch of elegance and sophistication to the Audi Q4, accentuating its clean and contemporary lines.
- Mythos Black Metallic: The Mythos Black Metallic exterior color offers a bold and commanding presence, emphasizing the Audi Q4’s sporty and dynamic appearance.
- Brilliant Black: Classic and timeless, Brilliant Black exudes an air of refinement, elevating the Audi Q4’s overall sense of luxury and style.
- Florett Silver Metallic: Florett Silver Metallic presents a modern and sophisticated look, reflecting light with a subtle shimmer and highlighting the Audi Q4’s captivating design.
- Ibis White: This pure and immaculate white shade adds a sense of purity and clarity to the Audi Q4, projecting a sleek and contemporary image.
- Manhattan Gray Metallic: The Manhattan Gray Metallic exterior color exudes an urban and modern vibe, perfectly complementing the Audi Q4’s chic and metropolitan design.
- Daytona Grey: With its captivating and rich gray hue, Daytona Grey enhances Audi Q4’s presence on the road, presenting a balance of elegance and sportiness.
- Pebble Gray: Pebble Gray offers a unique and intriguing shade, adding an element of sophistication and individuality to the Audi Q4’s exterior.
- Tango Red Metallic: This vibrant and attention-grabbing red hue brings a sense of energy and excitement to the Audi Q4, making it stand out on the streets.
- Typhoon Grey: Typhoon Grey presents a dark and powerful appearance, capturing the essence of the Audi Q4’s performance-oriented capabilities.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 offer an alluring spectrum of exterior colors, catering to various preferences and tastes.
Whether you prefer the classic elegance of Black Stone or Brilliant Black, the vibrant expression of Fjord Blue Metallic or Tango Red Metallic, or the sophisticated charm of Crystal White Metallic or Glacier White Metallic, each color option adds a unique character to the luxury electric vehicles.
When choosing the perfect exterior color for your luxury EV, consider your individual style and the image you wish to project on the road.
The variety of striking colors available for both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 ensures that you can find the perfect match that suits your personality and preferences, allowing you to drive in style and luxury.
Read also: Volvo C40 vs Tesla Model 3
Safety Features: Advanced Protection for Luxury EV Drivers
Safety is a paramount concern for luxury electric vehicle (EV) owners, and both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 take this aspect seriously.
Equipped with an array of cutting-edge safety features, these EVs prioritize the well-being of their occupants.
Let’s explore the shared safety features that ensure a secure and confident driving experience in both models:
Anti-lock Brakes (ABS):
The Anti-lock Brakes system automatically senses when a tire has stopped rotating under extreme braking.
It modulates the brake pressure to allow the tire to rotate, increasing the vehicle’s ability to turn while braking. This feature enhances stability and control during emergency braking situations.
Stability Control technology is designed to detect when the vehicle’s handling limits have been exceeded.
It responds by reducing engine power and/or applying select brakes to help prevent the driver from losing control of the vehicle.
This proactive measure ensures optimal stability and handling, especially in challenging driving conditions.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 are equipped with front-impact airbags for the driver and front passenger.
These airbags are designed to protect the head during a frontal crash, minimizing the risk of head injuries upon impact.
Side Impact Airbags:
Side Impact Airbags for the front seats provide an additional layer of protection during a side impact collision.
These airbags are designed to safeguard the occupants’ torso, reducing the risk of severe injuries in such events.
Overhead Airbags are strategically placed to protect the occupants’ heads in the event of a side collision or rollover. These airbags create a cushioning barrier to mitigate head injuries during a crash.
Knee Airbags in the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 help protect the occupants’ lower extremities from serious injury in the event of an accident.
These airbags deploy to offer additional protection to the knees and legs, enhancing overall safety.
Seatbelt pretensioners automatically tighten seatbelts during a collision, placing the occupants in the optimal seating position.
This feature minimizes slack in the seatbelt, reducing the risk of injuries caused by excessive movement during impact.
Anti-Whiplash head restraints are a safety measure designed to react to rear collision forces. They cradle the occupants’ heads, reducing the likelihood of whiplash injuries during rear-end collisions.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 are equipped with advanced security systems to anticipate and detect unwanted vehicle intrusion.
Additionally, an ignition disable device prevents the engine from starting if the correct original manufacturer key is not used, adding an extra layer of protection against theft.
Safety is a top priority in the luxury EV segment, and both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 demonstrate a commitment to protecting their occupants.
The shared suite of advanced safety features, including anti-lock brakes, stability control, front-impact, side-impact, overhead airbags, pre-tensioners, anti-whiplash head restraints, and security systems, ensure a secure and confident driving experience.
When considering a luxury EV, potential buyers can rest assured that both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 provide a comprehensive array of safety technologies.
Whether navigating city streets or embarking on long journeys, these advanced safety features provide peace of mind, making the Volvo C40 and Audi Q4 reliable and secure choices for safety-conscious luxury EV enthusiasts.
Warranty: Comprehensive Coverage for Luxury EVs
When investing in a luxury electric vehicle (EV), having a reliable warranty is essential to ensure peace of mind and protect your investment.
Both the Audi Q4 and the Volvo C40 come with competitive warranty packages, offering comprehensive coverage for their respective components. Let’s delve into the warranty details for each model:
The Volvo C40 comes with a robust warranty package that covers repairs for four (4) years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
This warranty period begins on the date the vehicle is sold or delivered to the first retail purchaser or put into service, whichever occurs first. With this warranty, Volvo aims to assure buyers of their commitment to quality and reliability.
While the Audi Q4 also offers a warranty package that provides peace of mind to its owners. It includes a 4-year or 50,000-mile basic warranty and a 4-year or 50,000-mile powertrain warranty.
The basic warranty covers various components and systems of the vehicle, ensuring that repairs are taken care of during the specified period.
The powertrain warranty, on the other hand, focuses on the crucial components that drive the vehicle, offering additional protection for the engine and transmission.
Specifications: Performance and Power Unleashed in Luxury EVs
In the world of luxury electric vehicles (EVs), performance and power are crucial factors that influence the driving experience.
The Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 showcase impressive specifications that elevate their on-road capabilities. Let’s explore the performance figures and power output for each model:
Volvo C40 Specifications:
- Acceleration 0 – 60 mph: The Volvo C40 exhibits swift acceleration, going from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.7 seconds. This impressive figure highlights the C40’s agility and responsiveness, ensuring an exhilarating driving experience.
- Maximum Speed: The Volvo C40 achieves a top speed of 180 km/h (approximately 111.85 mph). While the focus of luxury EVs is often on efficiency and sustainability, the C40 still manages to deliver an impressive speed for a dynamic driving experience.
- Weight-to-Power Ratio: The weight-to-power ratio of the Volvo C40 is 5.4 kg/Hp (186.7 Hp/tonne). This ratio reflects the vehicle’s power-to-weight distribution, showcasing its ability to efficiently utilize its horsepower to deliver spirited performance.
- Weight-to-Torque Ratio: The weight-to-torque ratio of the Volvo C40 is 3.3 kg/Nm (302.1 Nm/tonne). This ratio indicates how effectively the vehicle’s weight is utilized to deliver torque, resulting in impressive acceleration and responsiveness.
Audi Q4 Specifications:
The Audi Q4 e-tron 40 is powered by a Permanent Magnet AC Synchronous Motor, a technology known for its efficiency and reliability. The Audi Q4 e-tron 40 boasts an impressive power output:
Horsepower (hp): The Audi Q4 e-tron 40 generates 204 PS (Pferdestärke) / 201 bhp (brake horsepower) / 150 kW (kilowatts). This considerable power output ensures that the Q4 e-tron delivers dynamic and spirited performance on the road.
Both the Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 showcase impressive specifications that exemplify the power and performance capabilities of luxury EVs.
The Volvo C40’s quick acceleration, maximum speed, and impressive weight-to-power and weight-to-torque ratios ensure an engaging and exhilarating driving experience.
On the other hand, the Audi Q4 e-tron 40’s 204 PS / 201 bhp / 150 kW power output from its Permanent Magnet AC Synchronous Motor promises a dynamic and efficient performance on the road.
Fuel Economy: Efficiency for an Eco-Conscious Drive
As the automotive industry continues to embrace electric and hybrid technology, fuel economy remains a significant consideration for many luxury vehicle buyers.
The Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 offer impressive fuel efficiency, catering to environmentally conscious drivers. Let’s explore the fuel economy figures for each model:
The Volvo C40, despite being a luxury vehicle, offers class-competitive fuel-efficiency ratings from the EPA. The official EPA ratings stand at 22 mpg (miles per gallon) in the city and 30 mpg on the highway.
These figures reflect the vehicle’s efficiency in consuming fuel during urban driving and on open highways, showcasing its commitment to environmental sustainability.
In independent highway fuel-economy testing over a 200-mile stretch, the XC40 T5 model achieved an average of 29 mpg.
While this result may be considered average for the luxury SUV segment, it still demonstrates the C40’s ability to deliver a balanced blend of performance and efficiency during real-world driving scenarios.
While the Audi Q4 excels in fuel efficiency, with official EPA ratings of 24 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway.
These figures are impressive for a luxury vehicle, demonstrating Audi’s commitment to delivering eco-friendly driving experiences.
Read also: Volvo C40 vs Polestar 2
Pros and Cons: A Comparative Look at Luxury EVs
The Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 represent two remarkable luxury electric vehicles (EVs) that cater to drivers seeking style, performance, and eco-friendliness.
While both models offer compelling features, they also come with their set of advantages and drawbacks. Let’s explore the pros and cons of each model:
Volvo C40 Pros:
- Comically Quick: The Volvo C40 impresses with its quick acceleration, going from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.7 seconds. This spirited performance enhances the driving experience, adding an element of excitement to daily commutes.
- Real SUV Ground Clearance: Unlike some other luxury EVs, the Volvo C40 offers genuine SUV ground clearance, making it suitable for driving on various terrains and providing a sense of adventure.
- Strong Regenerative Braking: The C40’s strong regenerative braking system not only contributes to improved energy efficiency but also offers a smooth and engaging driving experience.
Volvo C40 Cons:
- Unimpressive Range: While the Volvo C40 boasts strong performance, its range might not be as impressive as some of its competitors. This may require careful planning for longer journeys or regular charging stops.
- Premium Price Tag: As a luxury EV, the Volvo C40 comes with a premium price tag. While its features and performance justify the cost for many buyers, it may be a consideration for those on a tighter budget.
- Stiff Ride: Some drivers might find the C40’s ride to be on the stiffer side, which could lead to a less comfortable experience on rough roads.
Audi Q4 Pros:
- Excellent Interior: The Audi Q4 shines with its top-notch interior design and craftsmanship, offering a luxurious and comfortable cabin for both drivers and passengers.
- Great Ride Quality: The Q4’s ride quality strikes a balance between comfort and performance, providing a smooth and refined driving experience.
- Lovable Steering and Handling: Audi’s renowned steering and handling dynamics enhance the Q4’s agility and responsiveness, making it a joy to drive on both city streets and winding roads.
Audi Q4 Cons:
- Mild Refresh: Some may view the Q4’s design as a mild refresh rather than a completely new model, which might not be as appealing to those seeking a bolder update.
- High Price: As with many luxury vehicles, the Audi Q4 comes with a higher price tag, making it a premium choice for buyers seeking its features and brand reputation.
- Non-Linear Brake Feel: The Q4’s brake feel might not be as linear or smooth as some drivers prefer, potentially requiring some adjustment for certain driving styles.
The Volvo C40 and the Audi Q4 each offer unique advantages and considerations for luxury EV enthusiasts.
The C40 impresses with its quick acceleration and real SUV ground clearance, while the Q4 boasts an excellent interior and refined ride quality.
On the other hand, the C40’s unimpressive range and premium price tag might be potential drawbacks for some buyers, while the Q4’s mild refresh and non-linear brake feel could be points of consideration.
Ultimately, choosing between these luxury EVs depends on individual preferences, driving needs, and priorities.
Both models showcase the strides made in the world of electric vehicles, providing environmentally friendly options with distinct features and characteristics that cater to different driving preferences and styles.