Compare Honda HR-V vs Mazda CX-5 – In the ever-evolving landscape of compact SUVs, the choices are abundant, catering to a wide range of preferences and needs.
Two prominent contenders in this category are the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5. As you consider these two vehicles, it’s essential to delve into the intricacies that set them apart.
From pricing and fuel economy to safety features and warranty, this comprehensive comparison will provide you with the insights needed to make an informed decision.
What is the Difference Between Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5?
When comparing two exceptional vehicles like the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5, it’s essential to recognize the unique attributes that set them apart.
These differences extend beyond mere specifications and delve into aspects that shape the driving experience, comfort, and overall appeal of each vehicle.
Let’s explore the distinctive features that make the Honda HR-V and the Mazda CX-5 stand out in their own right.
– Overview of the Honda HR-V
The 2023 Honda HR-V, Honda’s smallest crossover SUV, is located below the stalwart Honda CR-V, Passport, and Honda Pilot in the company’s lineup. The Honda HR-V, which is based on the Honda Fit hatchback, was first seen in North America in 2016.
Since then, the all-new HR-V has altered in almost every conceivable way, culminating in its seventh model year in 2023. As eager Honda fans will agree, the Fit is no longer available, so the new HR-V isn’t based on it.
The new HR-V, on the other hand, owing to its larger Civic base, is roomier than the previous model. Sadly, the revolutionary trick storage system is no longer available in this generation of HR-V.
Honda’s so-called Magic Seat back seat bottoms can no longer be flipped up to store large items on the floor for users. It’s a pity to lose that functionality, which set the HR-V apart from the rest of the field.
In order to position the HR-V as an entry-level SUV model, Honda aims it against competitors such as the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Mazda CX-30, Toyota Corolla Cross, and VW Taos.
We feel that it will appeal to consumers looking for a practical small SUV, however, its rivals may do so as well and may do so with more panache. Read our test team’s Expert Rating below to learn more about the new HR-V’s biggest hits and misses.
– Overview of the Mazda CX 5
The Mazda CX-5 is a compact crossover SUV with up five seats and is ideal for small families. The current generation has consistently placed near the top of our rankings because of its premium interior trimmings and exceptional driving dynamics for a compact SUV in this price range.
Consumers seem to believe that the CX-5 is a suitable option in its class since it is the most popular vehicle in Mazda’s lineup.
We don’t anticipate many changes to the 2023 model because Mazda gave the CX-5 a thorough refresh last year. Mazda, on the other hand, has a tough choice to make with the CX-5.
The 2023 Mazda CX-50 was introduced this year, and it is roughly the same size on the inside as out, but it is styled and marketed for a more outdoorsy customer.
Given that the CX-5 model has been completely redesigned for seven years, we believe the nameplate will not be around for much longer.
It clashes with the manufacturer’s newly established naming conventions and does not belong with the new Mazda SUV lineup.
Mazda is hoping that by the end of 2024, CX-5 customers will switch to the CX-50, allowing the car to vanish from view.
Read also: Mazda CX 5 vs Volkswagen Tiguan
In the dynamic world of subcompact SUVs, pricing is a crucial factor that can significantly influence a buyer’s decision-making process.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 are both exceptional vehicles, each with its own unique features and offerings.
Let’s delve into the pricing details of these two contenders to better understand their value propositions.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Price
The 2023 Honda HR-V presents an enticing lineup with different trim levels, catering to a diverse range of preferences and budgets. Here’s a breakdown of the pricing for various models:
- Front-Drive LX Model: The base model of the 2023 Honda HR-V, the LX, comes with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $23,800. This competitive starting price makes the HR-V an attractive option for budget-conscious buyers looking to step into the world of compact SUVs.
- Sport Trim: Stepping up the ladder, the Sport trim offers enhanced features and styling. The 2023 Honda HR-V Sport comes with an MSRP of $25,900, offering buyers an upgrade from the base model while still maintaining affordability.
- EX-L Version: For those seeking a higher level of sophistication and premium features, the EX-L version of the 2023 Honda HR-V might catch their attention. This top-tier trim is priced close to $28,000, presenting a well-rounded package that combines style, comfort, and advanced technology.
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Price
The 2023 Mazda CX-5, renowned for its upscale design and dynamic driving experience, also offers a range of pricing options across its lineup:
- Base 2.5 S Model: The entry point into the 2023 Mazda CX-5 lineup is the 2.5 S model, which starts with an MSRP of $26,700. This price point introduces buyers to Mazda’s signature blend of elegance and performance, making it an attractive proposition in the segment.
- 2.5 S Preferred Trim: The 2.5 S Preferred trim, often among the most popular choices, starts at an MSRP of $30,190. With this pricing, buyers gain access to additional premium features and enhanced comfort, elevating the overall driving experience.
In conclusion, both the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer competitive pricing options that cater to a wide spectrum of buyers.
The HR-V impresses with its affordability and comprehensive range of features, while the CX-5 stands out with its upscale design and driving dynamics.
When making your decision, consider your budget, desired features, and the overall value each vehicle brings to the table.
Regardless of which option you choose, both the HR-V and the CX-5 promise to deliver a satisfying and rewarding ownership experience.
In the realm of modern vehicles, fuel efficiency is a crucial consideration for environmentally conscious consumers and those looking to minimize their transportation costs.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 each offer their own take on fuel economy, catering to different driving preferences and needs.
Let’s delve into the fuel economy details of these two contenders to better understand their efficiency offerings.
The 2023 Honda HR-V is designed to strike a balance between performance and fuel efficiency, catering to drivers seeking a versatile and economical driving experience. Here’s an overview of its fuel economy estimates:
- Front-Wheel-Drive Models: The highest fuel economy estimates for the 2023 Honda HR-V are achieved by front-wheel-drive models. These models are rated at 26 mpg city and 32 mpg highway, making them well-suited for both city commuting and highway cruising.
- All-Wheel Drive Models: Opting for all-wheel drive slightly affects the HR-V’s fuel economy figures. All-wheel-drive models are rated at 25 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, offering a still commendable efficiency for those who prioritize enhanced traction and control.
- Real-World Performance: In real-world testing, the 2023 Honda HR-V exceeded its EPA estimates. During a 75-mph highway fuel-economy test route, the HR-V outperformed its official estimate by 2 mpg, demonstrating its capability to provide efficient highway driving experiences. Impressively, some drivers managed to cover 440 miles of highway driving on a single tank of gas, highlighting the HR-V’s efficiency and long-distance capabilities.
While the 2023 Mazda CX-5, known for its premium design and engaging driving dynamics, offers different fuel economy ratings based on its engine options:
- Base 2.5-Liter Engine: Equipped with the base 2.5-liter engine, the 2023 Mazda CX-5 achieves fuel economy ratings of 24 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. This engine option strikes a balance between performance and efficiency, making it suitable for a range of driving scenarios.
- Turbocharged Engine: Opting for the more powerful turbocharged engine results in slightly different fuel economy figures. The turbocharged engine is rated at 22 mpg city and 27 mpg highway, reflecting the additional power it provides.
- Real-World Testing: During a 75-mph highway route test, the base engine of the 2023 Mazda CX-5 demonstrated impressive efficiency by returning 32 mpg, while the turbocharged engine achieved 30 mpg.
For detailed and official fuel economy figures for both the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5, you can refer to the EPA’s website, which provides accurate and standardized information.
In conclusion, when it comes to fuel economy, both the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer commendable efficiency across their respective models and engine options.
The HR-V showcases its efficiency by exceeding EPA estimates in real-world testing, while the CX-5 delivers a balance between performance and fuel economy.
As you consider these vehicles, take into account your typical driving scenarios, whether they involve city commutes or long highway journeys, to select the option that best aligns with your preferences and requirements.
Read also: Mazda CX 5 vs Nissan Rogue
When it comes to choosing the perfect compact SUV, the dimensions play a significant role in determining comfort, space, and practicality.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 each come with their own set of dimensions that cater to different needs and preferences.
Let’s explore the dimensions of these two contenders to gain insights into their size and interior space.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Dimensions
The 2023 Honda HR-V is designed to provide a balance between compactness and interior space. Here’s a breakdown of its dimensions:
|Overall Width without Mirrors||72.4 inches|
|EPA Interior Volume||123.1 cubic feet|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats)||24.4 cubic feet|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||55.1 cubic feet|
|Turning Circle||37.0 feet|
|Ground Clearance||7.3 inches|
|Angle of Approach||16.0 degrees|
|Angle of Departure||21.1 degrees|
|Curb Weight||3,311 pounds|
|Country of Final Assembly||Mexico|
Front Seat Dimensions:
|Front Head Room||39.4 inches|
|Front Leg Room||41.9 inches|
|Front Shoulder Room||56.6 inches|
|Front Hip Room||54.0 inches|
Rear Seat Dimensions:
|Rear Head Room||38.0 inches|
|Rear Leg Room||37.7 inches|
|Rear Shoulder Room||55.2 inches|
|Rear Hip Room||47.4 inches|
|Split-Folding Rear Seatback||Standard|
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Dimensions
The 2023 Mazda CX-5 aims to provide a slightly larger and more upscale experience without compromising on maneuverability. Here’s a breakdown of its dimensions:
|Overall Width with Mirrors||83.3 inches|
|Overall Width without Mirrors||72.6 inches|
|EPA Interior Volume||134.4 cubic feet|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats)||30.8 cubic feet|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||59.3 cubic feet|
|Turning Circle||36.0 feet|
|Curb Weight||3,728 pounds|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||2,000 pounds|
|Gross Weight||4,724 pounds|
|Country of Final Assembly||Japan|
Front Seat Dimensions:
|Front Head Room||39.7 inches|
|Front Leg Room||41.0 inches|
|Front Shoulder Room||57.1 inches|
|Front Hip Room||55.2 inches|
Rear Seat Dimensions:
|Rear Head Room||39.0 inches|
|Rear Leg Room||39.6 inches|
|Rear Shoulder Room||54.8 inches|
|Rear Hip Room||55.3 inches|
|Split-Folding Rear Seatback||Standard|
|Reclining Rear Seats||Standard|
Both the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer well-designed dimensions that cater to various needs.
The HR-V strikes a balance between compactness and interior space, making it suitable for urban environments.
On the other hand, the CX-5 provides slightly more room for passengers and cargo, catering to those who prioritize interior space.
Consider your typical usage scenarios, whether it’s city driving, road trips, or hauling cargo, to determine which vehicle’s dimensions align better with your preferences and lifestyle.
Read also: Mazda CX 5 vs BMW X1
In the realm of vehicle personalization, color options play a significant role in expressing individual style and preferences.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer a range of exterior and interior colors to cater to a variety of tastes.
Let’s explore the color options available for both these contenders to better understand how they allow you to make your mark on your chosen vehicle.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Color Options
The 2023 Honda HR-V offers a selection of exterior and interior colors, allowing you to customize both the outside and inside of your vehicle:
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Nordic Forest Pearl
- Urban Gray Pearl
- Milano Red
- Platinum White Pearl
- Black, cloth
The exterior color palette of the 2023 Honda HR-V offers a mix of elegant neutrals and vibrant hues.
Whether you prefer the timeless appeal of Crystal Black Pearl or the eye-catching Milano Red, you can find a color that resonates with your personality.
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Color Options
The 2023 Mazda CX-5 also presents a selection of exterior and interior colors, enabling you to curate a vehicle that suits your tastes:
- Jet Black Mica
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Rhodium White Metallic
- Eternal Blue Mica
- Black, cloth
The exterior color options of the 2023 Mazda CX-5 reflect a combination of sophistication and vibrancy.
From the boldness of Soul Red Crystal Metallic to the timeless appeal of Jet Black Mica, these color choices allow you to tailor your CX-5 to your desired aesthetic.
In conclusion, both the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer a range of exterior and interior color options, enabling you to personalize your vehicle according to your preferences.
Whether you’re drawn to the understated elegance of neutrals or the bold statement of vibrant hues, you can find a color combination that resonates with your style.
As you consider these options, think about how your chosen colors reflect your personality and complement the vehicle’s overall design.
After all, color is more than just a visual choice—it’s a way to make your vehicle uniquely yours.
Safety is paramount when it comes to selecting a vehicle, and modern technology has made driver-assistance features more comprehensive and accessible than ever before.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 are no exceptions, offering a range of safety features to enhance driver confidence and protect occupants.
Let’s explore the safety features available in these two contenders to understand how they prioritize your well-being on the road.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Safety Features
The 2023 Honda HR-V is equipped with a robust suite of driver-assistance technologies that contribute to a safer driving experience:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking: This feature helps mitigate the risk of frontal collisions by automatically applying the brakes if an impending collision is detected.
- Standard Lane-Departure Warning with Lane-Keeping Assist: The lane-departure warning alerts the driver if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane. The lane-keeping assist feature can gently guide the vehicle back into the lane if necessary.
- Standard Adaptive Cruise Control: Adaptive cruise control enhances convenience by automatically adjusting the vehicle’s speed to maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle ahead.
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Safety Features
The 2023 Mazda CX-5 comes with a comprehensive suite of driver-assistance technologies designed to enhance safety and driver confidence:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection: This feature not only detects potential collisions with vehicles but also pedestrians, providing an additional layer of protection.
- Standard Lane-Departure Warning and Lane-Keeping Assist: Similar to the HR-V, the CX-5 is equipped with these features to help prevent unintentional lane departures.
- Standard Adaptive Cruise Control: This technology maintains a safe distance from the vehicle in front by automatically adjusting the speed, reducing the need for constant manual adjustments.
In conclusion, the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 prioritize safety by offering a suite of driver-assistance technologies designed to prevent collisions and enhance driver awareness.
These features not only improve the driving experience but also contribute to the overall well-being of both the driver and passengers.
As you consider these vehicles, take into account the safety features that matter most to you and how they align with your driving habits and preferences.
For detailed information about crash-test results, you can visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) websites to gain valuable insights into each vehicle’s safety performance.
Read also: Mazda CX 5 vs Toyota RAV4
When investing in a vehicle, having a comprehensive warranty provides peace of mind by ensuring that you’re covered in case of unexpected issues.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 come with their own warranty packages, each offering a different level of coverage.
Let’s explore the warranty details of these two contenders to better understand how they safeguard your ownership experience.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Warranty
While the 2023 Honda HR-V’s standard warranty package is relatively basic, it comes with some additional perks that add value to the ownership experience:
- Limited Warranty: The limited warranty covers the HR-V for 3 years or 36,000 miles, providing coverage for defects and repairs due to manufacturer faults during the initial period of ownership.
- Powertrain Warranty: The powertrain warranty, covering essential components like the engine and transmission, extends for 5 years or 60,000 miles, giving you added assurance for a longer duration.
- Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance: Honda offers a complimentary scheduled maintenance plan for the HR-V, covering the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. This additional benefit can help you keep your vehicle in optimal condition without incurring extra costs during the initial ownership phase.
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Warranty
The 2023 Mazda CX-5’s warranty package, while competitive, lacks the complimentary maintenance offering:
- Limited Warranty: Similar to the HR-V, the CX-5’s limited warranty also covers the vehicle for 3 years or 36,000 miles, providing coverage against defects and issues arising from manufacturer faults.
- Powertrain Warranty: The CX-5’s powertrain warranty extends for 5 years or 60,000 miles, mirroring the coverage provided by the HR-V.
- No Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance: Unlike the HR-V, the CX-5 does not come with a complimentary scheduled maintenance plan. This means that routine maintenance costs would need to be covered by the owner.
When it comes to performance and technical specifications, the details under the hood can greatly impact your driving experience.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 each offer unique specifications that contribute to their individual character and capabilities.
Let’s delve into the specifications of these two contenders to better understand their engine performance and mechanical features.
– 2023 Honda HR-V Specs
The 2023 Honda HR-V is designed to balance efficiency and power with its specifications:
|Base Engine Size||2.0 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gas|
|Transmission||Continuously variable-speed automatic|
|Drive Type||All wheel drive|
|Horsepower||158 hp @ 6,500 rpm|
|Torque||138 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double overhead cam (DOHC)|
– 2023 Mazda CX-5 Specs
The 2023 Mazda CX-5 boasts specifications that offer a blend of performance and efficiency:
|Base Engine Size||2.5 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gas|
|Transmission||6-speed shiftable automatic|
|Drive Type||All wheel drive|
|Horsepower||187 hp @ 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||186 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double overhead cam (DOHC)|
|Max Towing Capacity||2,000 lbs.|
In comparison, the 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 offer distinct engine specifications that cater to different driving preferences and needs.
The HR-V’s specifications emphasize efficiency and power balance, making it suitable for urban and highway driving.
On the other hand, the CX-5’s specifications provide a slightly higher horsepower and torque output, contributing to its dynamic performance and versatility.
As you consider these specifications, think about how they align with your typical driving scenarios and whether you prioritize efficiency, power, or a combination of both.
Each vehicle’s specifications contribute to its unique driving experience, ensuring that you can choose the option that best suits your preferences and lifestyle.
Resale Value of Mazda CX-5 vs Honda HR-V
The Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5 are both popular compact SUVs, but which one has the better resale value?
According to iSeeCars.com, the Honda HR-V has a 5-year depreciation rate of 34.2%, while the Mazda CX-5 has a 5-year depreciation rate of 39.8%.
This means that the Honda HR-V retains 5.5 percentage points more of its value than the Mazda CX-5.
Here is a table comparing the resale value of the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5:
|Model||5-Year Depreciation Rate||Retained Value %|
As you can see, the Honda HR-V has a significantly better resale value than the Mazda CX-5. This is likely due to a number of factors, including the Honda HR-V’s reputation for reliability and its strong brand name.
If you are looking for a compact SUV with good resale value, the Honda HR-V is a great option. It is a reliable and well-known vehicle that is sure to hold its value well over time.
Here are some other factors to consider when comparing the resale value of the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5:
- Mileage: The more miles a vehicle has, the more it will depreciate. The Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-5 both have relatively low depreciation rates, but the Honda HR-V will hold its value better if it has lower mileage.
- Condition: The condition of a vehicle also affects its resale value. A vehicle that is well-maintained and has no major damage will hold its value better than a vehicle that is neglected or has been in an accident.
- Features: The features that a vehicle has can also affect its resale value. A vehicle with popular features, such as a sunroof or heated seats, will typically hold its value better than a vehicle with fewer features.
Ultimately, the best way to determine which compact SUV has the best resale value for you is to compare the prices of specific vehicles in your area.
You can use online tools like Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds to get an idea of the resale value of different vehicles.
Read also: Mazda CX 5 vs Volvo XC60
Pros and Cons
When evaluating vehicles, it’s important to consider both their strengths and weaknesses. The Honda HR-V and the Mazda CX-5 each have their own set of pros and cons that contribute to their overall appeal and performance.
Let’s delve into the pros and cons of these two contenders to better understand their key attributes and areas of improvement.
– 2023 Honda HR-V: Pros and Cons
- Roomy Seating: The 2023 Honda HR-V offers spacious seating arrangements, providing comfort and ample room for both front and rear passengers.
- Slow Acceleration: One of the downsides of the HR-V is its slow acceleration, which might not be as responsive as some drivers prefer.
- Uncomfortable Seats: While the HR-V boasts roomy seating, some users find the seats uncomfortable for extended periods of driving.
– 2023 Mazda CX-5: Pros and Cons
- Engaging Driving Dynamics: The 2023 Mazda CX-5 stands out with its engaging driving dynamics, offering a more spirited and enjoyable driving experience.
- Attractive and Upscale Cabin: The CX-5 features a cabin with an upscale design and quality materials, creating a visually appealing and refined interior.
- Optional Turbocharged Engine: The availability of an optional turbocharged engine enhances the CX-5’s performance, providing ample power and a dynamic driving experience.
- Quiet at Highway Speeds: The CX-5 excels in maintaining a quiet and comfortable cabin environment even at highway speeds, enhancing the overall driving experience.
- Base Engine Acceleration: The base engine of the CX-5 offers lackluster acceleration, potentially leaving some drivers desiring more power.
- Firm Ride: The CX-5’s ride can be perceived as firm, especially when compared to some competitors in its class.
- Rear Legroom and Cargo Space: While the CX-5 offers an engaging driving experience, it compromises on rear legroom and cargo space compared to some rivals.
The 2023 Honda HR-V and the 2023 Mazda CX-5 each come with their own set of strengths and weaknesses. The HR-V offers roomy seating but might disappoint with its slow acceleration and uncomfortable seats.
On the other hand, the CX-5 impresses with engaging driving dynamics, an upscale cabin, and the option of a turbocharged engine.
However, it falls short with its base engine acceleration, firm ride, and slightly limited rear legroom and cargo space.
As you weigh these pros and cons, consider your priorities and preferences in terms of comfort, performance, and overall driving experience to make an informed decision that aligns with your needs and lifestyle.
Which SUV is more fuel-efficient?
The Honda HR-V is more fuel-efficient than the Mazda CX-30. The HR-V gets an EPA-estimated 28 city and 34 highway mpg, while the CX-30 gets an EPA-estimated 25 city and 32 highway mpg.
Are these SUVs suitable for families?
Yes, both the Honda HR-V and the Mazda CX-30 are suitable for families. They both have enough space for up to five passengers and their luggage. The HR-V has a slightly larger cargo area than the CX-30, so it may be a better choice for families who need to haul a lot of gear.
Does the HR-V come with all-wheel drive?
Yes, the Honda HR-V is available with all-wheel drive. This makes it a good choice for drivers who live in areas with snow or rain.
Can I tow with these SUVs?
The Honda HR-V can tow up to 1,500 pounds, while the Mazda CX-30 can tow up to 2,000 pounds. So, if you need to tow a small trailer or boat, the HR-V or CX-30 can handle it.
Do these vehicles require premium fuel?
No, neither the Honda HR-V nor the Mazda CX-30 require premium fuel. They can both run on regular unleaded gasoline.
What Honda is equivalent to Mazda CX-5?
Both the Honda CR-V and the Mazda CX-5 are compact SUVs that are safe, fuel-efficient, and offer premium amenities and fantastic overall driving characteristics. For our 2022 Best Compact SUV for the Money award, the CR-V was a Finalist. Crossover SUVs and SUVs with two rows of seating were also ranked second.
- Honda HR-V vs Mazda CX-30
- Mazda CX-5 vs Honda CR-V