Compare Volvo XC60 vs XC90 – The 2023 Volvo XC60 and 2023 Volvo XC90 are two popular luxury SUVs that offer exceptional performance, comfort, and safety features.
In this comprehensive comparison, we will delve into their differences and help you determine which model suits your needs better.
From pricing and dimensions to interior and exterior features, safety, warranty, specifications, fuel economy, and pros and cons, we will provide an in-depth analysis to assist you in making an informed decision.
What is the Difference Between Volvo XC60 vs XC90?
The 2023 Volvo XC60 and 2023 Volvo XC90 are two prominent SUV models offered by Volvo. While they share the same brand and embody Volvo’s commitment to safety.
There are notable differences between the Volvo XC60 vs XC90 in terms of size, performance, features, and pricing. Let’s explore these distinctions in detail:
The Volvo XC60, a compact luxury SUV, has garnered acclaim for its exceptional blend of style, performance, and safety features.
The starting price for the 2023 XC60 is $43,450, positioning it as an attractive option in its segment. Volvo offers multiple trims for the XC60, each with its own pricing and features.
Buyers can choose from the Momentum, R-Design, Inscription, and Polestar Engineered trims, each offering varying levels of luxury and performance.
While the 2023 Volvo XC90, a midsize luxury SUV, exemplifies Volvo’s commitment to elegance, versatility, and cutting-edge technology.
With a starting price of $56,000, the XC90 provides a higher level of luxury and features compared to the XC60.
Similar to the XC60, the XC90 also offers different trims, including the Momentum, R-Design, Inscription, and Recharge plug-in hybrid models.
The XC90’s higher price range is indicative of its larger size, enhanced features, and increased seating capacity.
Read also: Volvo C40 vs XC40
Fuel economy is a significant factor for many SUV buyers, and both the Volvo XC60 and XC90 models offer competitive efficiency in their respective segments.
The fuel economy ratings may vary depending on the specific engine and drivetrain configuration chosen.
The Volvo XC60 demonstrates commendable fuel efficiency, allowing owners to enjoy fewer visits to the gas station.
The exact fuel economy figures for the XC60 may vary depending on factors such as engine choice, drivetrain configuration, and driving conditions.
However, the XC60 achieves an estimated fuel economy of up to 23 miles per gallon (mpg) in the city and up to 30 mpg on the highway.
These figures highlight the XC60’s ability to deliver efficient performance, making it suitable for daily commuting and long-distance drives.
Similar to the XC60, the XC90 offers competitive fuel efficiency for an SUV of its size and capability. The XC90’s fuel economy ratings are influenced by various factors, including the selected engine and drivetrain configuration.
On average, the XC90 achieves an estimated fuel economy of around 22 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
These figures reflect the XC90’s ability to provide a balance of performance and efficiency, making it a practical choice for both city driving and highway cruising.
Read also: Volvo XC40 vs Volvo XC60
When it comes to selecting a new vehicle, it’s crucial to consider the interior dimensions, as they play a significant role in providing comfort and convenience for both drivers and passengers.
By examining the front headroom, front leg room, front shoulder room, rear headroom, rear leg room, and rear shoulder room, we will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of how these two vehicles differ in terms of space and comfort.
Front Head Room:
The 2023 Volvo XC60 offers generous front headroom, ensuring that even taller individuals can enjoy a comfortable driving experience.
With a front headroom measurement of approximately 37.4 inches, this SUV provides ample space for occupants to sit upright without feeling cramped.
Whether you’re embarking on a short city commute or a long road trip, the XC60’s front headroom will contribute to a relaxing and enjoyable journey.
While the Volvo XC90 offers a generous front headroom measurement of 38.9 inches. This ample space ensures that both the driver and the front passenger can sit comfortably without feeling cramped.
Whether you’re tall or have a preference for a more open and airy cabin, the XC90’s front headroom has got you covered.
Front Leg Room:
In terms of front legroom, the 2023 Volvo XC60 continues to impress. With approximately 41.5 inches of legroom, this SUV ensures that both the driver and front passenger have sufficient space to stretch their legs and maintain a comfortable seating position.
The ample legroom allows for enhanced comfort, particularly during longer drives, minimizing any feelings of fatigue or discomfort.
While the XC90 delivers with its front legroom measurement of 40.9 inches. This spacious dimension allows for comfortable seating, even for taller individuals.
With ample legroom, you can stretch out and relax, making those extended road trips or daily commutes a more enjoyable experience.
Front Shoulder Room:
Shoulder room is an essential factor to consider, especially for those who value personal space or frequently travel with passengers.
The 2023 Volvo XC60 excels in providing generous front shoulder room, offering a sense of freedom and space for the driver and front passenger.
With a front shoulder room measurement of around 58.2 inches, this luxury SUV allows occupants to enjoy a relaxed seating position without feeling confined.
The wider shoulder room not only enhances comfort but also contributes to a more open and airy cabin ambiance.
While the XC90 provides a comfortable front shoulder room of 57.7 inches. This generous space ensures that both the driver and front passenger have ample room to move their arms and shoulders without feeling constrained.
Whether you’re enjoying a solo drive or accommodating multiple passengers, the XC90’s front shoulder room offers a pleasant and spacious environment.
Rear Head Room:
Rear headroom is a critical dimension, especially for the comfort of rear-seat passengers. It determines the vertical space available between the top of the occupant’s head and the roof of the vehicle in the rear seating area.
Volvo recognizes the importance of providing generous rear headroom to ensure a comfortable experience for all passengers.
Moving on to the rear of the vehicle, the XC60 continues to prioritize spaciousness. The rear headroom measures approximately 38 inches, ensuring that even taller passengers can sit comfortably without worrying about their heads touching the roof.
Whether you’re driving with family or friends, the XC60’s rear headroom offers a pleasant and accommodating atmosphere for everyone on board.
While the XC90 offers a rear headroom dimension of 38.5 inches. This ample space ensures that even taller passengers can sit comfortably in the rear seats without feeling restricted.
The Volvo XC90 focus on spaciousness throughout the vehicle creating a harmonious and inclusive environment, allowing all passengers to enjoy the journey.
Rear Leg Room:
Similar to front legroom, rear legroom is a crucial dimension that significantly contributes to passenger comfort, particularly during long journeys.
Volvo has meticulously designed the 2023 XC90 and the XC60 to provide optimal rear legroom, ensuring that all passengers can relax and enjoy their time in the vehicle.
Passengers in the rear of the 2023 Volvo XC60 will appreciate the generous legroom provided by this luxury SUV.
With a rear legroom measurement of around 38 inches, there is ample space for passengers to stretch out and relax during the journey.
This spacious legroom not only contributes to passenger comfort but also allows for increased flexibility in seating arrangements and cargo loading.
While the Volvo XC90 boasts a rear legroom measurement of 37 inches. This generous space allows for comfortable seating positions for rear-seat passengers, preventing any feelings of tightness or discomfort.
Whether it’s a family road trip or a chauffeured business ride, the XC90’s rear legroom ensures that all occupants can stretch out and relax during their journey.
The 2023 Volvo XC60 offers a range of interior color options to suit various preferences and styles. These options include:
- Charcoal: A classic and versatile dark gray shade that exudes sophistication and elegance.
- Maroon: A deep and rich reddish-brown color that adds a touch of warmth and luxury to the interior.
- Blond: A light and airy shade of beige or off-white that creates a spacious and modern feel.
- Amber: A warm and earthy tone that combines elements of brown and orange, offering a unique and distinctive interior ambiance.
On the other hand, the 2023 Volvo XC90 offers two interior color options:
- Blonde: A light and neutral shade that complements the XC90’s upscale and contemporary design, creating an open and inviting atmosphere.
- Charcoal: A sophisticated and refined dark gray color that adds a sense of elegance and refinement to the XC90’s interior.
These interior color choices allow Volvo XC60 and XC90 owners to personalize their vehicles and create an interior space that reflects their individual style preferences.
Whether you prefer a classic, modern, or warm ambiance, Volvo provides a variety of options to ensure that you can find the perfect color to suit your taste.
Both the 2023 Volvo XC60 and XC90 provide a diverse range of exterior color options, allowing you to select a color that aligns with your personal style and makes a statement on the road.
Here are the available exterior colors for each model:
2023 Volvo XC60:
- Ice White: A clean and timeless white hue that exudes elegance and showcases the vehicle’s sleek lines.
- Crystal White: A shimmering and pearlescent white shade that adds a touch of sophistication and luxury to the XC60’s exterior.
- Denim Blue: A vibrant and eye-catching blue color that gives the XC60 a sporty and modern appearance.
- Thunder Gray: A dark and mysterious gray shade that adds a sense of depth and refinement to the XC60’s exterior design.
- Platinum Gray: A subtle and sophisticated gray tone that offers a classic and understated look for the XC60.
- Fusion Red: A bold and energetic red hue that makes a statement and brings a sense of excitement to the XC60’s exterior.
- Silver Dawn: A shimmering silver color that enhances the XC60’s sleek and contemporary design, adding a touch of luxury.
- Onyx Black: A deep and commanding black shade that exudes power and elegance, giving the XC60 a sleek and premium appearance.
2023 Volvo XC90:
- Crystal White: A luminous and refined white color that enhances the XC90’s upscale and modern design.
- Onyx Black: A deep and captivating black hue that adds a sense of sophistication and luxury to the XC90’s exterior.
- Denim Blue: A rich and distinctive blue shade that gives the XC90 a striking and contemporary look.
- Thunder Grey: A dark and commanding gray color that exudes confidence and complements the XC90’s bold presence.
- Platinum Grey: A refined and versatile gray tone that offers a timeless and understated appearance for the XC90.
- Silver Dawn: A metallic silver color that highlights the XC90’s sleek lines and adds a touch of elegance to its exterior.
- Bright Dusk: A deep and intense grayish-blue shade that gives the XC90 a unique and captivating presence on the road.
With these various exterior color options, both the Volvo XC60 and XC90 allow you to choose a color that resonates with your style preferences and showcases your individuality.
Whether you prefer a classic, bold, or modern look, Volvo offers a wide range of colors to ensure that your vehicle stands out and reflects your personal taste.
Volvo has built a strong reputation for its unwavering commitment to safety, and the XC60 and XC90 models are no exception.
Both vehicles come equipped with a comprehensive range of safety features designed to protect occupants and enhance overall safety on the road.
Standard Safety Features:
Both the 2023 Volvo XC60 and XC90 models include a set of standard safety features that provide a foundation of protection. These features typically include:
- Blind Spot Monitoring: This system uses sensors to detect vehicles in the blind spot zones and alerts the driver to potential hazards when changing lanes.
- Lane-Keep Assist: A technology that helps keep the vehicle centered within the lane by providing gentle steering input if it detects unintended drifting.
- Cross-Traffic Alerts: This feature warns the driver of approaching vehicles or pedestrians when backing out of a parking spot or driveway, enhancing safety during reversing maneuvers.
- Automatic Emergency Braking: This system uses sensors to monitor the road ahead and can apply the brakes automatically to mitigate or prevent a collision in certain situations.
- Pedestrian Detection: Utilizing advanced cameras and sensors, this feature detects pedestrians in the vehicle’s path and provides warnings or initiates braking to avoid or reduce the severity of collisions.
Optional Safety Features:
Volvo also offers optional safety features that can be added to enhance the safety and security of the XC60 and XC90. These may include:
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS): ABS helps prevent wheel lock-up during braking, allowing the driver to maintain steering control.
- Stability Control: This system helps to maintain vehicle stability by adjusting engine power and applying individual brakes to specific wheels when needed.
- Front-Impact Airbags: Front airbags provide protection to the driver and front passenger in the event of a frontal collision.
- Side-Impact Airbags: Side airbags are designed to protect occupants in the event of a side-impact collision, providing additional protection to vital areas of the body.
- Overhead Airbags: Overhead airbags deploy from the roof area and provide protection to occupants in the event of a rollover or side-impact collision.
- Knee Airbags: Knee airbags are positioned below the dashboard and help protect the lower extremities of the driver and front passenger during a collision.
- Pretensioners: Seat belt pretensioners automatically tighten the seat belts in the event of a collision, ensuring occupants are properly restrained.
These optional safety features further enhance the overall safety of the XC60 and XC90 by adding additional layers of protection to occupants and increasing the vehicle’s ability to prevent accidents or mitigate their impact.
With a comprehensive suite of standard and optional safety features, Volvo continues to prioritize safety in its vehicles.
Both the XC60 and XC90 models offer advanced safety technologies, aiming to provide a reassuring and secure driving experience for you and your passengers.
When investing in a new Volvo vehicle like the XC60 or XC90, it’s crucial to understand the warranty coverage that accompanies your purchase.
Volvo provides comprehensive warranty protection to ensure peace of mind during ownership. Here are the key details of the warranty coverage for both models:
Both the 2023 Volvo XC60 and XC90 come with a basic warranty that covers the majority of parts in the vehicle. This warranty typically lasts for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
During this period, Volvo will address any defects in materials or workmanship, providing necessary repairs or replacements at no additional cost to the owner.
Volvo offers a drivetrain warranty that covers essential components of the vehicle’s drivetrain system. This warranty usually covers items such as the engine, transmission, and drivetrain assembly.
The drivetrain warranty terms are typically aligned with the basic warranty, extending coverage for 4 years or 50,000 miles.
Roadside Assistance Coverage:
Both the XC60 and XC90 include roadside assistance coverage as part of the warranty package. In the event of a breakdown, emergency, or any other unforeseen circumstances, Volvo’s roadside assistance program ensures that help is just a phone call away.
This service provides services like towing, fuel delivery, battery jump-starts, and lockout assistance to get you back on the road quickly and safely.
Additional Warranty Benefits:
Volvo offers additional warranty benefits that can provide extended coverage for certain components of the vehicle.
These benefits can include coverage for items like emissions, corrosion, and certain hybrid/electric components.
The duration of these additional warranty benefits can extend up to 6 years or 120,000 miles, depending on the specific terms and conditions.
It’s important to note that warranty coverage may vary slightly based on factors such as the region and specific dealership.
To obtain precise and up-to-date information about the warranty coverage for the 2023 Volvo XC60 and XC90, it’s advisable to consult with your local Volvo dealership or refer to the official Volvo warranty documentation.
Volvo’s warranty offerings demonstrate their commitment to standing behind their vehicles and providing customers with comprehensive protection.
By covering various components and providing roadside assistance, Volvo aims to ensure that owners can enjoy their XC60 or XC90 with confidence, knowing that they are supported in case of any unexpected issues.
The specifications of the Volvo XC60 and XC90 are crucial factors that contribute to their performance capabilities.
These specifications vary depending on the selected trim levels and engine options. Let’s explore the key specifications of both models:
– Engine Power and Torque:
The Volvo XC60 and XC90 offer a range of engine options, each with its own power and torque outputs. The exact figures may differ based on the chosen configuration.
The XC60 and XC90 can be equipped with a turbocharged and supercharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers impressive performance.
Additionally, some hybrid variants may feature an 18.8-kWh battery-and-motor system, which enhances power and efficiency.
These advanced powertrain options can produce up to 455 horsepower and 523 pound-feet of torque, ensuring a dynamic driving experience.
– Engine Configuration and Displacement:
The engine configuration and displacement of the XC60 and XC90 vary based on the selected engine options. Volvo offers a range of powertrains, including four-cylinder engines with various levels of forced induction.
The precise engine configurations and displacements may differ, ensuring a balance between power, efficiency, and environmental sustainability.
– Drivetrain and Transmission:
Both the XC60 and XC90 are equipped with an all-wheel-drive (AWD) system, providing enhanced traction and stability on various road conditions.
The AWD system ensures better handling and control, especially in adverse weather or off-road situations. In terms of transmission, both models feature an 8-speed shiftable automatic transmission.
This transmission offers smooth gear shifts and allows the driver to manually select gears if desired, providing a balance between convenience and driver engagement.
– Tire and Wheel Specifications:
The tire and wheel specifications of the XC60 and XC90 contribute to their overall performance and ride quality.
While specific tire options may vary based on the chosen trim level and package, both models often come equipped with 235/55 R19 radial tubeless tires as standard. This tire size strikes a balance between comfort, handling, and grip on the road.
Additionally, some models may offer the convenience of run-flat tires, which provide added safety by allowing continued driving for a limited distance after a puncture or loss of tire pressure.
These specifications highlight the performance-oriented design and capabilities of the Volvo XC60 and XC90.
The available engine options, drivetrain configurations, transmission choices, and tire specifications ensure that Volvo enthusiasts can select the combination that best meets their desired driving experience and preferences.
Pros and Cons
To provide a comprehensive analysis, let’s explore the pros and cons of both models:
2023 Volvo XC60 Pros:
- Stylish exterior design
- Comfortable and luxurious interior
- Impressive safety features
- Agile handling
- Good fuel efficiency
2023 Volvo XC60 Cons:
- Limited cargo space compared to larger SUVs
- Rear visibility may be slightly compromised
2023 Volvo XC90 Pros:
- Spacious and versatile interior
- High-end luxury features
- Advanced safety technology
- Smooth and comfortable ride
- Excellent towing capacity
2023 Volvo XC90 Cons:
- Higher starting price compared to the XC60
- Larger size can make maneuvering in tight spaces challenging
In this comprehensive comparison, we have explored the differences between the Volvo XC60 vs XC90.
By examining their pricing, dimensions, interior and exterior features, safety, warranty, specifications, fuel economy, and pros and cons, we have provided valuable insights to assist you in choosing the right SUV for your needs.
Whether you prioritize a more compact size and agility or a larger, more luxurious interior, Volvo offers exceptional options in both the XC60 and XC90.
Visit your local Volvo dealership to test drive these models and experience their impressive features firsthand.
Compare with other vehicles: