The SUV market is booming, with more options than ever before. If you’re in the market for a new SUV, two popular choices are the 2023 Ford Edge vs Chevy Equinox.
In this article, we’ll dive deep into the differences between these two models, covering pricing, fuel economy, dimensions, safety features, warranty, specifications, reliability, resale value, and their respective pros and cons.
What’s the Difference Between Ford Edge and Chevy Equinox?
The main differences between the Ford Edge and Chevy Equinox lie in their performance, design, features, and pricing.
The Edge tends to have more powerful engine options and a more upscale interior, while the Equinox emphasizes practicality and fuel efficiency at a more budget-friendly price point.
When shopping for a new SUV, understanding the pricing options is crucial to finding the best fit for your budget and preferences.
In this section, we’ll delve into the pricing details of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, providing you with a clear picture of the cost associated with each model.
– 2023 Ford Edge Price
- 2023 Ford Edge SE – Starting at $37,945:
The base model of the 2023 Ford Edge, the SE trim, comes with a starting price of $37,945. This entry-level option offers a variety of standard features and a solid foundation for those seeking a comfortable and practical SUV.
- 2023 Ford Edge SEL – Starting at $39,345:
Stepping up to the SEL trim, the starting price is $39,345. This trim level typically includes additional features and technology upgrades, making it an attractive choice for those looking for a more well-equipped vehicle.
- 2023 Ford Edge ST-Line – Starting at $43,100:
The ST-Line trim brings a sportier edge to the 2023 Ford Edge lineup, starting at $43,100. With unique styling cues and performance-oriented features, this trim appeals to those who enjoy a dynamic driving experience.
- 2023 Ford Edge Titanium – Starting at $43,100:
Priced similarly to the ST-Line, the Titanium trim offers a more refined experience with a focus on comfort and convenience. Starting at $43,100, this trim level caters to drivers who prioritize luxury features.
- 2023 Ford Edge ST – Starting at $46,485:
Positioned at the top of the lineup, the ST trim emphasizes performance and excitement. With a starting price of $46,485, this trim is perfect for enthusiasts seeking a powerful and exhilarating driving experience.
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Price
The 2023 Chevrolet Equinox offers a range of trim levels to cater to different budgets and preferences. Let’s take a closer look:
- 2023 Chevy Equinox LS Trim – Starting at $26,300 (plus destination charge):
The base LS trim of the 2023 Chevy Equinox starts at $26,300, excluding the destination charge. This entry-level option provides essential features and functionality at an affordable price point.
- 2023 Chevy Equinox LT Trim – Starting at $27,700:
The LT trim offers a step up from the LS, providing additional features and technology. While the specific starting price isn’t mentioned, it offers a balance between affordability and enhanced features.
- 2023 Chevy Equinox RS Trim – Starting at $30,700:
The RS trim introduces sportier styling and a more dynamic driving experience. Though the exact starting price is not provided, it is likely to fall between the LS and Premier trims.
- 2023 Chevy Equinox Premier Trim – Starting at $31,500:
Positioned as the top trim level, the Premier trim of the 2023 Chevy Equinox starts at $31,500. This trim combines luxurious features with advanced technologies, making it an appealing choice for those seeking a premium experience.
In conclusion, both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox offer a variety of trim levels to cater to different needs and preferences.
The Ford Edge presents a slightly higher price range across its lineup, while the Chevy Equinox starts at a more budget-friendly point.
As you explore these pricing options, be sure to consider the features, performance, and overall value that each trim level brings to make an informed decision that aligns with your requirements.
In an era where fuel efficiency is more important than ever, understanding the fuel economy of the vehicles you’re considering is essential.
In this section, we’ll delve into the fuel economy details of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, providing insights into their efficiency on both city streets and highways.
– 2023 Ford Edge Fuel Economy:
When it comes to fuel efficiency, the 2023 Ford Edge offers a range of options to suit different driving preferences. Let’s break down the fuel economy figures for various models within the Edge lineup:
Four-cylinder models of the 2023 Ford Edge achieve an EPA rating of up to 21 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
However, it’s worth noting that some specific configurations of the four-cylinder models are rated at 20 mpg city.
These ratings provide a balance between power and efficiency for drivers seeking a versatile driving experience.
The sporty ST model, known for its performance-oriented features, has slightly lower fuel efficiency figures. The ST is rated at 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
During a 75-mph fuel-economy test, the four-cylinder ST-Line model returned a fuel economy of 24 mpg, slightly below its EPA estimate.
On the same test, the six-cylinder ST exhibited better efficiency, matching its estimated 25 mpg.
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Fuel Economy:
The 2023 Chevy Equinox also aims to provide efficient performance without compromising on utility. Here’s a closer look at its fuel economy figures:
According to the EPA estimates, the front-wheel-drive 2023 Chevy Equinox is expected to achieve 26 mpg in the city and an impressive 31 mpg on the highway.
These figures showcase the Chevy Equinox’s capability to deliver efficient city and highway driving experiences.
All-Wheel Drive Equinox:
Opting for all-wheel drive on the Equinox does result in a slight reduction in fuel efficiency. Adding all-wheel drive leads to a decrease of 2 mpg in the city and 1 mpg on the highway compared to the front-wheel-drive version.
In a real-world 75-mph fuel-economy test, a previous Equinox model equipped with the 1.5-liter engine and front-wheel drive achieved an impressive 32 mpg.
This result demonstrates the Chevy Equinox’s ability to exceed its EPA estimate in real-world conditions.
In conclusion, the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox offer a range of fuel-efficient options, catering to different driving styles and needs.
While the Ford Edge provides a mix of fuel economy ratings for its four-cylinder and performance-oriented ST models, the Chevy Equinox shines with its front-wheel-drive efficiency and real-world performance.
When considering these fuel economy figures, keep in mind that your driving habits and conditions can influence the actual fuel efficiency you experience.
It’s recommended to visit the EPA’s website for more detailed information and to test drive both vehicles to assess their real-world fuel economy in various scenarios.
When choosing an SUV, dimensions play a significant role in determining comfort, space, and overall utility.
In this section, we’ll explore the dimensions of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, giving you insights into their sizes, interior capacities, and more.
– 2023 Ford Edge Dimensions:
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a spacious and versatile interior, making it suitable for various needs. Here’s a breakdown of its key dimensions:
|Overall Width w/ Mirrors||85.8 in.|
|Overall Width w/o Mirrors||75.9 in.|
Interior Dimensions – Front Seat:
|Front Head Room||40.2 in.|
|Front Leg Room||42.6 in.|
|Front Shoulder Room||60.3 in.|
|Front Hip Room||55.9 in.|
Interior Dimensions – Rear Seat:
|Rear Head Room||40.3 in.|
|Rear Leg Room||40.6 in.|
|Rear Shoulder Room||60.5 in.|
|Rear Hip Room||57.5 in.|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats in Place)||39.2 cu.ft.|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||73.4 cu.ft.|
|Curb Weight||4,122 lbs.|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||3,500 lbs.|
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Dimensions:
The 2023 Chevy Equinox is designed with efficiency and compactness in mind. Let’s explore its dimensions:
|Overall Width w/o Mirrors||72.6 in.|
Interior Dimensions – Front Seat:
|Front Head Room||40.0 in.|
|Front Leg Room||40.9 in.|
|Front Shoulder Room||57.2 in.|
|Front Hip Room||54.2 in.|
Interior Dimensions – Rear Seat:
|Rear Head Room||38.5 in.|
|Rear Leg Room||39.9 in.|
|Rear Shoulder Room||55.5 in.|
|Rear Hip Room||51.7 in.|
|Cargo Capacity (All Seats in Place)||29.9 cu.ft.|
|Maximum Cargo Capacity||63.9 cu.ft.|
|Curb Weight||3,274 lbs.|
|Maximum Towing Capacity||1,500 lbs.|
As you can see, both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox offer distinct dimensions to cater to different preferences and needs.
The Ford Edge provides more length and interior space, making it suitable for those seeking a larger SUV.
On the other hand, the Chevy Equinox embraces a more compact design, which is perfect for urban driving and maneuverability.
Whether you prioritize passenger comfort or cargo capacity, understanding these dimensions will help you make an informed decision that aligns with your lifestyle and requirements.
Read also: Ford Edge vs Kia Sorento
Customizing your vehicle to match your personal style is an exciting part of the car-buying process.
In this section, we’ll explore the exterior and interior color options available for both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, allowing you to envision the aesthetic that suits you best.
– 2023 Ford Edge Color Options
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a diverse range of exterior colors, giving you the opportunity to choose a shade that resonates with your preferences. Here are the available exterior color options:
- Forged Green Metallic
- Rapid Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
- Carbonized Gray Metallic
- Agate Black Metallic
- Star White Metallic Tri-Coat
- Atlas Blue Metallic
- Iconic Silver Metallic
- Oxford White
- Stone Blue Metallic
The interior of the 2023 Ford Edge also allows for personalization through different color and material combinations. Here are the interior color options:
- Dune, Leatherette
- Ebony, Leatherette
- Ebony, Premium Cloth
- Dune, Premium Cloth
- Navy Pier w/Orange Stitching, Leatherette
2023 Chevy Equinox Color Options
The 2023 Chevy Equinox offers a more streamlined selection of exterior colors, focusing on classic and modern choices. Here are the available exterior color options:
- Sterling Gray Metallic
- Blue Glow Metallic
- Summit White
- Mosaic Black Metallic
The interior color options for the 2023 Chevy Equinox are designed to provide comfort and style. Here are the interior color options:
- Medium Ash Gray, Premium Cloth
- Jet Black, Premium Cloth
Personalizing your vehicle with the right color options can make it uniquely yours. The 2023 Ford Edge offers a wider range of exterior and interior color choices, allowing you to find the perfect combination that reflects your personality.
On the other hand, the 2023 Chevy Equinox provides a more concise selection, focusing on simplicity and elegance.
As you consider color options, think about how they align with your overall style and preferences, creating a vehicle that suits you both inside and out.
Safety is paramount when considering a new vehicle, and both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox offer a suite of safety features to provide peace of mind.
In this section, we’ll delve into the safety features of both models, giving you insights into the technologies that prioritize your well-being on the road.
– 2023 Ford Edge Safety Features:
The 2023 Ford Edge is equipped with an array of standard and available safety technologies to enhance driver confidence and protect occupants. Here’s a breakdown of its key safety features:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking: The Ford Edge comes with standard automated emergency braking, which can help mitigate or prevent collisions by applying the brakes if the vehicle detects an imminent collision.
- Standard Lane-Departure Warning and Lane-Keeping Assist: Lane-departure warning alerts the driver when the vehicle unintentionally drifts out of its lane, while lane-keeping assist gently steers the vehicle back into the correct lane.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control: Adaptive cruise control adjusts the vehicle’s speed to maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle ahead. This technology offers convenience and enhances highway driving safety.
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Safety Features:
The 2023 Chevy Equinox places a strong emphasis on safety, offering a mix of standard and optional safety features. Here’s a look at its key safety offerings:
- Standard Automated Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection: The Equinox comes equipped with standard automated emergency braking, which not only detects potential collisions with vehicles but also pedestrians, enhancing pedestrian safety.
- Standard Lane-Keep Assist with Lane-Departure Warning: Lane-keep assist helps drivers stay within their lanes, and lane-departure warning alerts them if they unintentionally drift out of their lane.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control: Similar to the Ford Edge, the Equinox offers adaptive cruise control as an available feature, providing drivers with added convenience during highway travel.
– Safety Ratings: Ford Edge vs Chevy Equinox
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox have received recognition for their safety measures, but it’s important to note the distinctions:
- Ford Edge: The Edge’s standard automated emergency braking, lane-keeping assist, and blind-spot monitoring contribute to its safety accolades. Additional advanced safety features are offered as options.
- Chevy Equinox: The Equinox earned a five-star safety rating from the NHTSA, signifying its high level of crashworthiness. However, it wasn’t designated as a Top Safety Pick by the IIHS. The Chevy Equinox provides a comprehensive suite of standard and optional driver-assistance technologies.
In conclusion, the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox prioritize safety through their standard and available safety features.
The Ford Edge focuses on providing a robust suite of technologies that enhance driver awareness and collision prevention.
The Equinox boasts a strong safety rating from the NHTSA, along with a range of standard and optional driver-assistance technologies.
As you evaluate these safety offerings, consider which features align with your driving preferences and safety priorities.
Read also: Ford Edge vs Hyundai Tucson
When purchasing a new vehicle, warranty coverage can provide valuable peace of mind, offering protection and support for unexpected issues.
In this section, we’ll compare the warranty offerings of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, helping you understand the coverage they provide.
– 2023 Ford Edge Warranty:
The 2023 Ford Edge comes with a warranty package that provides standard coverage without any standout features. Here’s a breakdown of the Ford Edge’s warranty:
- Limited Warranty: The limited warranty covers three years or 36,000 miles, providing basic protection for a typical period in the automotive industry.
- Powertrain Warranty: Ford offers a powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles. This warranty covers the essential components of the vehicle’s powertrain, offering an extra layer of assurance.
- Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance: Unlike some competitors, the 2023 Ford Edge doesn’t provide complimentary scheduled maintenance as part of its warranty package.
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Warranty:
The 2023 Chevy Equinox also offers a standard warranty package, with a slight edge in terms of complimentary maintenance. Here’s a look at the Equinox’s warranty:
- Limited Warranty: Similar to the Ford Edge, the Chevy Equinox’s limited warranty covers three years or 36,000 miles.
- Powertrain Warranty: The ChevyEquinox’s powertrain warranty matches that of the Ford Edge, providing coverage for five years or 60,000 miles.
- Complimentary Maintenance: The Chevy Equinox provides a notable perk—a single complimentary dealer maintenance visit within the first year of ownership. This offering can add convenience and value for new owners.
– Comparing Warranty Offerings:
Both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox offer standard warranty coverage that aligns with industry norms.
While there are no groundbreaking features within their warranties, the Chevy Equinox’s complimentary maintenance visit within the first year is a notable highlight, enhancing the ownership experience during the initial stages of ownership.
When considering the warranty offerings of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, it’s clear that both models provide standard coverage in line with industry standards.
While the Chevy Equinox’s complimentary maintenance visit adds a touch of convenience for new owners, the warranty packages themselves are similar in terms of duration and coverage.
As you weigh your options, take into account the specific terms and any additional perks that may align with your preferences and priorities.
Understanding the technical specifications of a vehicle is essential for evaluating its performance, capabilities, and overall suitability for your needs.
In this section, we’ll compare the specifications of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, providing insights into their engine options, drivetrain, power, and towing capabilities.
– 2023 Ford Edge Specs:
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a balanced set of specifications, catering to various driving preferences and requirements. Here’s a breakdown of its key specifications:
|Base Engine Size||2.0 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gas|
|Drive Type||All Wheel Drive|
|Horsepower||250 hp @ 5,500 rpm|
|Torque||280 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double Overhead Cam (DOHC)|
|Max Towing Capacity||3,500 lbs.|
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Specs:
The 2023 Chevy Equinox offers a different set of specifications, emphasizing efficiency and versatility. Here’s a look at its key specifications:
|Base Engine Size||1.5 L|
|Base Engine Type||Gas|
|Transmission||6-speed shiftable automatic|
|Drive Type||Front Wheel Drive|
|Horsepower||175 hp @ 5,800 rpm|
|Torque||203 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm|
|Cam Type||Double Overhead Cam (DOHC)|
|Max Towing Capacity||1,500 lbs.|
|Max Payload Capacity||1,190 lbs.|
– Comparing Specifications:
The 2023 Ford Edge offers a larger base engine with more horsepower and torque, making it a more powerful option for those seeking a robust performance.
Its all-wheel drive drivetrain contributes to enhanced traction and stability, particularly in challenging driving conditions.
Additionally, its higher towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. makes it suitable for towing trailers, small boats, or recreational vehicles.
On the other hand, the 2023 Chevy Equinox prioritizes fuel efficiency with its smaller engine size. The front-wheel drive configuration and a slightly lower towing capacity make it a more suitable choice for urban commuting and light towing needs.
In conclusion, comparing the specifications of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox reveals distinct performance characteristics and capabilities.
The Ford Edge offers more power and towing capacity, while the Chevy Equinox focuses on fuel efficiency and versatility.
As you evaluate these specifications, consider your driving habits, towing requirements, and performance preferences to determine which vehicle aligns best with your needs.
Read also: Hyundai Palisade vs Ford Edge
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevrolet Equinox are both midsize SUVs that are known for their reliability. However, the Edge has a slightly better reliability rating than the Equinox.
According to RepairPal, the Ford Edge has a reliability rating of 3.5 out of 5.0, which ranks it 11th out of 26 for midsize SUVs.
The average annual repair cost is $611 which means it has average ownership costs. The frequency and severity of repairs are both fairly average when compared with all other vehicles.
The Chevrolet Equinox has a reliability rating of 3.0 out of 5.0, which ranks it 17th out of 26 for midsize SUVs.
The average annual repair cost is $638 which means it has above-average ownership costs. The frequency of repairs is average, but the severity of repairs is higher than average.
So, the Ford Edge is the more reliable of the two SUVs. However, the difference in reliability is not significant, so you may want to consider other factors, such as price, features, and performance when making your decision.
Here is a table comparing the reliability of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevrolet Equinox:
|Feature||Ford Edge||Chevrolet Equinox|
|Reliability rating||3.5 out of 5.0||3.0 out of 5.0|
|Average annual repair cost||$611||$638|
|Frequency of repairs||Average||Average|
|Severity of repairs||Average||Above average|
Ultimately, the best way to decide which SUV is right for you is to test drive both and see which one you prefer.
The 2023 Ford Edge and 2023 Chevrolet Equinox are both good choices for a midsize SUV, but they have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to resale value.
According to Kelley Blue Book, the 2023 Ford Edge is expected to have a better resale value than the 2023 Chevrolet Equinox.
The Edge is projected to retain 56% of its MSRP after five years, while the Equinox is projected to retain 53%. This means that the Edge is expected to lose less value over time than the Equinox.
There are a few reasons why the Edge is expected to have a better resale value. First, it is a more popular vehicle than the Equinox.
According to CarGurus, the Edge is ranked #10 in the midsize SUV category, while the Equinox is ranked #12. This means that there is more demand for the Edge, which could lead to higher resale values.
Second, the Edge is a more expensive vehicle than the Equinox. The base price of the Edge is $34,000, while the base price of the Equinox is $25,800.
This means that the Edge is more likely to be leased or financed, which can also lead to higher resale values.
Finally, the Edge has a more upscale interior than the Equinox. The Edge has higher-quality materials and finishes, and it also offers more features, such as a panoramic sunroof and a hands-free power liftgate.
These features can make the Edge more desirable to buyers, which can also lead to higher resale values.
Of course, resale value is not the only factor to consider when buying an SUV. You should also consider the vehicle’s features, performance, and fuel economy.
However, if you are looking for an SUV that is expected to hold its value well, the 2023 Ford Edge is a good option.
Here is a table comparing the projected resale values of the 2023 Ford Edge and 2023 Chevrolet Equinox:
|Vehicle||5-Year Resale Value|
|2023 Ford Edge||56%|
|2023 Chevrolet Equinox||53%|
Pros and Cons
Evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of a vehicle is crucial for making an informed decision that aligns with your preferences and needs.
In this section, we’ll compare the pros and cons of the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox, providing insights into their standout features and areas that may require consideration.
– 2023 Ford Edge Pros and Cons
The 2023 Ford Edge boasts several positive attributes that enhance its appeal to potential buyers:
- Peppy Powertrain Options: The Ford Edge offers a range of powertrain options, allowing drivers to choose the level of performance that suits their preferences. This variety caters to those who seek a dynamic driving experience.
- Confident Handling: With its confident handling, the Edge provides a balanced and engaging driving experience. It offers stability on the road, contributing to driver confidence.
- Spacious Seating in Both Rows: The Edge prioritizes passenger comfort, offering ample space for both front and rear-seat occupants. This spaciousness enhances long journeys and accommodates passengers of various sizes.
- Lots of Standard Features: The Ford Edge comes equipped with a generous set of standard features, ensuring that even the base model provides essential technology and amenities.
Despite its strengths, the 2023 Ford Edge has some areas that may be considered disadvantages:
- Underwhelming Interior Quality: Some reviewers have noted that the interior quality of the Edge falls short of expectations, particularly in comparison to competitors in its class.
- Excessive Reliance on Touch-Screen Controls: The Edge’s reliance on touch-screen controls for various functions can be distracting and less intuitive for some users, potentially impacting the overall driving experience.
– 2023 Chevy Equinox Pros and Cons
The 2023 Chevy Equinox has its own set of advantages that cater to different preferences:
- Spacious Rear Seat: The Equinox offers a roomy rear seat, making it comfortable for passengers in the back and providing a suitable space for families and groups.
- Intuitive Infotainment System: The Equinox features an intuitive infotainment system that is easy to use, contributing to a seamless driving experience with easy access to technology features.
- Stylish RS Trim: The Chevy Equinox’s RS trim adds a stylish and sporty dimension to the lineup, appealing to those who appreciate a more dynamic aesthetic.
However, the 2023 Chevy Equinox also has aspects that might be considered drawbacks:
- Underpowered, Laggy Powertrain: Some reviewers have mentioned that the Chevy Equinox’s powertrain can feel underpowered and laggy, potentially affecting acceleration and overall performance.
- Mediocre Long-Term Value: The Chevy Equinox’s long-term value compared to competitors might be perceived as mediocre, which could impact its appeal for those considering ownership over an extended period.
- Comparatively Cramped Cargo Area: The Chevy Equinox’s cargo area might feel comparatively cramped, especially when compared to other vehicles in its segment that offer more generous cargo space.
The 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox have their respective strengths and weaknesses. The Edge offers peppy powertrain options and confident handling, but its interior quality and touch-screen controls could be potential downsides.
On the other hand, the Equinox boasts a spacious rear seat and an intuitive infotainment system, but its powertrain and cargo area might not meet all preferences.
As you weigh these pros and cons, consider which factors align with your priorities and needs to make an informed decision that suits your driving style and lifestyle.
Which vehicle is better for towing trailers?
If towing capacity is a priority, the 2023 Ford Edge’s higher rating might be more suitable for your needs.
Are there hybrid options available for both models?
Yes, while the 2023 Ford Edge offers hybrid variants, the 2023 Chevy Equinox provides hybrid options as well.
What are the standard safety features in these vehicles?
Both the Ford Edge and the Chevy Equinox come equipped with essential safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, and traction control.
Which vehicle offers better off-road capabilities?
The 2023 Ford Edge’s off-road capabilities might have a slight edge, making it more suitable for outdoor adventures.
How do the predicted resale values compare between the two models?
Resale values can vary, but projections suggest that both the 2023 Ford Edge and the 2023 Chevy Equinox retain their value well over time.